Suggestions on mowers/tractors

bluebird

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Our old IH lawn tractor is slowly dying. We have to keep replacing belts and such stuff, and it hardly works anymore.

We need a garden tractor/mower that is good on a big yard, PLUS can handle mowing a 3 acre field. We have had a Sears 18HP, but it died years ago. Then we got this IH as a used "beater mower" to do the field periodically to cut trails.

I think its time to get a NEW one! :mow PLEASE HELP US! (and don't suggest a goat---I have already tried that!)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since you are mowing 3A plus, rule out any MTD garden tractor look alike mower. They are not designed for that. JD sells a "tractor mower" but it is expensive. The lower line is just an MTD knock off.

I'd suggest a machine built for mowing w/easy to change/sharpen blades, Kohler motor, heavy frame, & easy to grease joints. Expect to spend about 1/2 what a new car would cost but it will last a long time.

I'm still in the fix it, change the belt and hate it Sears MTD line.....

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Mmm...We have a John Deere L175 which I think is 24HP, we mow our large yard, all the way down the half KM driveway, so at least 2 acres maybe a bit more...And we use the little trailer and all that for hay, water, etc. for the horses.

vegie chicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
i would find a tractor magazine and buy a ex-golf course or something small that has a three point linkage, loader and enough horse power to drive and mow at the same time with not to much effort. replacing belts often tells me the belts are too tigh or the belt gearing is damaged so it damages the belt. sometimes a engine re-build is half of the cost of a new tractor so you could quote that. maybe a mechanic should give it a serius check over because your tactor could be a good one but with easily fixed problems. do you cange the oil and such stuff- may help. if IH stands for international harvester than those tractors should be reliable

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH has an OLD tractor. A Ford 8N from the late 1940's I think. Still runs great. Works for everything. A small farm tractor might be what you'd like. Use it to work the garden, mow large areas and haul with. Have fun shopping! ;)

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
have been mowing and turning gardens for the last 12 years with a mtd 21 hp garden tractor .

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
After wasting a lot of money fixing an old john deere that we bought used, we bought a new one. The big box store JD is not strong enough for what you want. The dealer told us that motor should last 20-25 years as the smaller one go 10-12. We love it. No one I know with a sears lawn tractor has been very happy with it. We used to have a Honda that was fantastic-it went forever-at least until my husband forgot to check the oil. I don't think they make them any more. We sold it for $350.00 when it was very old and had a blown motor. I guess others who knew thought a lot of it too.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
If you want to keep it for a long time, and cannot afford a small tractor, I would suggest either a large John Deere or a Simplicity. I found a good maintenance guy, too, and we're talking about fixing up the old Lawn Machine riding mower that's taking up space in one of my buildings, to use just for hauling.
My dream machine is any of the good brands of small tractor with a pull-along mower.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Simplicity, Kubota and dealership JD's are all good tractors. I prefer the older ones, they were just built better. I do have a 2 year old Cub Cadet, but it's an MTD product. It cuts the grass, but I would never put it through what I put the old snapper or simplicity through. Frankly, I would try craigslist.org. Look for an older model in good shape. You might be surprised at what you find, especially in the spring.

Latest posts