Sumac???

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll quote some more from the Countryside article. The species used in the Middle East for spice is Rhus coriaria. This sumac bush produces crimson berry-like fruit in conical clusters. The berries are gathered a little before maturity, dried in the sun, then crushed to remove the seed. The dried fruit pulp is then pulverized to make the brick-red sumac seasoning. It is used to season barbecues, chicken, curries, fish, salads, sauces, stews, stuffing, and vegetables. It is employed with onions and salt as a seasoning for roasts. It does have a lemony flavor.

Za'tar is a seasoning used to flavor bread, olives and yogurt. The recipe for Za'tar is

1 cup dry and pulverized thyme
1 cup sumac
1/4 cup finely pulveruized unsalted roasted chickpeas
3 tablespoons sesame seed, toaster
1 tablespoon marjoram
2 reaspoons salt

Mix all ingredients and store in a jar for future use.

All the above is Rhus coriaria.

Still using the article, the most important North American species is stag horn (Rhus typhina). It says that the fruit is not used for food but is used for the lemonade-like beverage Pat mentioned. It does not say it cannot be used for food; just that is is not. I'd think if you can drink it, it is safe to use for food.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Ridgerunner,

Thanks for the clarification -- I will save the info for later in the year & have a try. Maybe I can contact someone from that ethnic background that lives here in the UK to see if they use our trees fruit?

I love this forum --you just never know what fascinating facts you will come across. :cool:

:rose Hattie :rose

Latest posts