Summer Fruit "Cake"

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is one I saw (either on FB or Pinterest, can't remember which) that I actually tried and it was a winner. My MIL was quite impressed! :throw

6486_imgp4422_web.jpg

You take a watermelon and cut the ends off and trim it up a bit until you get a cake-like shape. The pic online didn't say what to frost it with, but I found my MIL's fruit dip recipe was PERFECT for this... You take one container of greek yogurt (or custard style or thick n' creamy), any flavor you want, dump it in a bowl...and with a mixer blend in about 1/2 c. of confectioner's sugar. Then fold in an 8 oz. container of Cool Whip. Pat your watermelon down with papertowels to get it mostly dry, then frost your "cake" with that. Decorate with whatever fruit you want. I used frozen blueberries because that is what I had on hand, but I don't recommend it--fresh fruit is better.

6486_imgp4432_web.jpg

When you cut into it, the fruit dip "icing" is very thick and it cuts cleanly and doesn't try to fall off. The fruit slices don't fall of either. I refrigerated the leftovers and the icing didn't stick to the plastic wrap either. I just made this for fun, but wouldn't it be perfect for entertaining?

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That is very cool! It would be a great way to finish off a summer BBQ.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love this, even though I actually do not like watermelon!!!! My older brother does not eat sweets, no cookies or cake. He always had a watermelon sliced in 1/2 with candles for his BD. (Me I want choc with more choc for my cake.:) ) ANYWAY I am thinking this would make a PERFECT cake for his Birthday. How cool. Thanks for sharing.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm a double/triple chocolate kinda gal too, Carol. But this was really tasty. I bet your brother will enjoy it.

My MIL loves stuff like this. She has so many neat recipes and presentation is everything for her cooking. I'm surprised she didn't think of it first!