Summer is here!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
More than the cockles will be warm. Supposed to be 90 today, with really high humidity. Ugh!

But did you see the western sky last evening? Crescent moon, Venus and Jupiter(?) in a perfect triangle. (what's the one called when two legs are the same? )

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
summer has been here for the last 3 weeks it has been in the low to upper 90's. we had a 2/10 rainstorm last night opened the front door to take the girls for their morning walk ,it was like walking into a block of water.... at least i do not have to water today.
feel sorry for those who did not get their lawns mowed....not

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Equilateral triangle is where all three legs are the same. Isosceles is where two legs are the same. Sunset was just gorgeous last night, a beautiful orange. I never noticed the stars though. I did last week and there were some bright planets.

Summer is mainly just a day on the calendar for me. The main thing is that the days start to get shorter. That gives me less time to work outside before dark when it is cooler.

I don't know what to call the weather so far this year. It's been really wet and not all that hot, more like April than June. But summer has hit with a vengeance now, in the 90's and no rain forecast other than afternoon pop-ups, maybe.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
But did you see the western sky last evening? Crescent moon, Venus and Jupiter

I did! I had a nap yesterday afternoon and managed to get back outside and do some things until a little after the 8:50pm sunset. Moonset is at 11:50pm tonight so we will enjoy seeing those planets up there with her again.

The Weather Service has hinted that we may have temperatures above 100° next week ..!

We didn't even hit 90° in June, 2014!

Steve
relative humidity about 18% at sunset, last night ;)

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Rhomboid traditionally, in a two demensional geometry, a rhomboid is a parallelogram in which adjacent sides are of equal lengths and the angles are not at right angles.

Pretty warm here but no humidity to deal with. Summer is welcome

Richard

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
rhom·boid
ˈrämˌboid/

adjective: rhomboid
  1. 1.
    having or resembling the shape of a rhombus.

noun: rhomboid
  1. 1.
    a quadrilateral of which only the opposite sides and angles are equal.
A Rhomboid would have 4 sides, not three like a triangle.

In geometry, an isosceles triangle is a triangle that has two sides of equal length. Sometimes it is specified as having two and only two sides of equal length, and sometimes as having at least two sides of equal length, the latter version thus including the equilateral triangle as a special case.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, you are right Ridgerunner.

I managed to get a D average in geometry because my teacher liked my father, but I learned a lot in the 30+ years I was teaching. Today I would make my Geometry teacher proud. Of course, today such information seldom comes up. Thank you, @so lucky, for bringing the question of triangles to the front.

And yes, Gypsy and I were driving home from ice skating as we watched the trio of night lights shining well before any stars were visible. Rather like the night I wished for Gypsy -- darkening sky and no stars other than that one bright glow arcing across the sky.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, I agree @so lucky , that moon and two planets were beautiful. I wished I had a better camera to capture the view of them framed through the tops of the pines.

@Ridgerunner , you said out loud what I know but always try to not believe, that now that it's officially summer the days will be shortening. :(

And @digitS' , I have been so enjoying the cooler days we have had recently I don't look forward to that 100 degree stuff. I just feel like I finally caught up with the watering from that last stretch of moderately hot weather. :\

Latest posts