Summer Spaghetti

britesea

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
This is a recipe we wait all year for. It doesn't work with anything less than fully vine-ripened tomatoes with tons of juice.

SUMMER SPAGHETTI

2 pounds very ripe tomatoes
1 small onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced (or more to taste)
2 tablespoons finely minced parsley
2 tablespoons finely minced basil
¼ cup good olive oil
Tarragon wine vinegar to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
1 pound spaghetti
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Peel and dice tomatoes (actually, I don’t bother to peel- it’s up to you). Add onions, garlic, parsley, basil and olive oil to the tomatoes and season to taste with vinegar, salt and pepper. Set aside. Boil the spaghetti until al dente and drain. Toss the hot spaghetti with the tomato mixture. Taste and season further if needed. Serve immediately topped with cheese. If you have any leftovers, they taste really good the next day although the pasta may be a little mushier because it will have absorbed a lot of the juices.

britesea

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
@ninnymary , of course it does depend on what type of tomatoes you are using, but I've found 2 pounds came out to approximately 4 average sized beefsteak type. You need more Roma type, but it makes a sauce that has more solid pieces of tomato as opposed to beefsteak which gives you more juice. My favorite tomato for this is the 'Flame' type heirlooms

britesea

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yes it is, Mary... an heirloom type that is really pretty- it is red with streaks of yellow running through it like flames... low acid type.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Another goodie! So far we only have some green tomatoes taking their own sweet time getting ripe.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm going to try that maybe this Friday. Picking tomatoes daily, I just need to get a good parmesan cheese. Last time I made the mistake of getting a cheap one. It was awful!

Mary