Sunflowers - do we have a contest here?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
baymule said:
Don't call you SMART Red for nuthin'. Yes! You are a computer genius!
Thank you, Baymule! You are so nice to humor me.

I post photos so infrequently that I need retraining each time. This was the first time I succeeded with multiple pictures in a post. I just may have it down now.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I see that my garden looks pretty bare in the sunflower pics. That is not much of a tribute to my gardening skills.

The first raised bed has ready for harvest red spuds where there are dead stems and leek starts in the end where I dug the Yukon Golds.

The rear raised bed had Yukon Golds - harvested - and my small alpine strawberry patch.

The bed with the errant sunflower (that you can't see) is alive with beets, lettuce, carrots, beans, onions, leeks, shallots, one bell pepper plant, and a trellis growing my cantaloupe -- one of which is nearly ready for tasting.

What you don't see in any of the beds are weeds. Raised beds are so easy to keep clean! I love them.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those 2 toned ones sure are pretty!

This year I only let one sunflower volunteer grow. I think it was either the Endurance or the Medium. I pinched the growing tip at around 5 feet and had a nice shrub of mostly 7 inch wide flowers and some smaller ones too.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
7100_sun_and_bee.jpg

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
everybodies pics look great, Smart Red that is a total monster head, hope mine will have time to mature before frost. Desertlady, like the multiple blooms and so tall. Catjack, what a happy looking bloom, the bee on it is the best part. here are my sunflowers, I am sure they are Mammoth Greystripe our DD gave me the seeds...:)
7254_tall.jpg

7254_photo_5.jpg

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I will try to remember to measure my mammoth next year ! I still have some for shade but they are drying up. Birds enjoy their seeds..