Sunshine Mimosa

pate4ever

Sprout
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I figured I would pick your brains about this ... I have Sunshine Mimosa in my yard ... everywhere! I have been trying to pull out roots for years and I still can't get rid of it. It seems to be getting worse?!? Has anyone ever heard of this stuff? How do I eliminate it?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Are you in Florida? It's considered a native to Florida and grows very quickly.

The problem that you're probably having is that the seeds can last a very long time. Other than using a chemical herbicide or destroying the soil by spraying vinegar and salt, I'd recommend mowing it regularly and tilling. Try to get rid of it as much as possible and don't let it go to seed. It propagates very easily so if you do mow than rake up any pieces.

It seems to be very drought tolerant as well.

Would you believe that people actually buy this for erosion control, which is why you are having such problems with the roots!

pate4ever

Sprout
Reaction score
I do believe that they would use it for erosion control. The roots are terrible. I am going to try and eliminate the flowers. The plant seems perennial. Thanks for all of your help.

EDIT: yes I am in florida. it is a native here which is really weedy during this time of year.

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I don't know what a Sunshine Mimosa plant is, but it sure sounds like a great name for a cocktail!

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
yum a sunshine mimosa!
I wish it'd grow in my zone5-I'd be begging for some starts...