sunshine on a cloudy Spring day outside of your gardens?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
cwhit590 said:
Love that pic! Tetons = :love

Hmmm...I wonder if they would survive out east? Maybe it would be too wet for them...:hu
That might be so, cwhit.

I'd guess that they go up to where it gets about 30 inches of precip annually, tho'. That would be in "open" forests but they work there way out into the sagebrush down to about where there's only about 10 inches each year.

They have a very broad range, however. I mean, this is a BIG country. So, if they grow all the way into the Dakota's, as well as WAY far south on their own - they may be a nice addition to a perennial wildflower garden in a lot of places. The leaves are attractive, too. Well drained soil would likely be essential.

Steve

edited to add: If you do a google search for - Balsamorhiza sagittata nursery catalog - you'll come up with quite a few native plant nurseries that sell them. Here's one especially for Joe.

Blackfoot Native Plants Nursery

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That is quite a showy plant. One look and it appears like sunflowers, then another view they look like Rudbeckia. I absolutely love the mounding effect!

A tap root as you describe suggests that this is not a transplantable plant unless it is very very young. Time to go for seeds and see how many friends you have here on TEG! LOL :bow

I would recommend these to be 'grown in place', meaning where they sprout is where they thrive! A long tap root does not take well to disturbing.

Steve, as for your vocabulary, as Joe says, I have to agree! Your verbalage is impeccable and you even intimidate me with your jargon on plants.

I try not to understand too much beyond having fun myself, are you Degreed in Horticulture by any chance? If not I dare say you are missing your calling.

Thanks for being you! :thumbsup

Ron

Latest posts