Sustainable Growing Project

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
There is a group around my area called the "Senior Gleaners" and what they do is go around to different small farms in the area, both commercial and private ones and glean the fields to help provide fresh food to the poor and elderly. We have quite a few small commercial farms within 20 miles of Roseburg, both veg and u-pick orchards as well as a big u-pick berry farm that grows the Oregon Marion berry, raspberries, blueberries and strawberries. Also, small home growers can call them up and they'll come collect your surplus produce. I was able to give them about 12 doz eggs early in the spring of 2007. I'll probably be giving them a call towards the end of my tomato harvest as well. I always get carried away and plant way too many tomato plants. I think I've got at least 12-15 in my bed now, all different kinds and its just me and my son here now. :p

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:rose :clap I read through this stream and I applad You Backyard Buddy for the work you and your group are doing for your community :clap
There is no finer way to better the world than reaching out and helping feed your fellow human. :hugs

In our small county in NE MO we have a place called the Food Room that is sponcered by the local Ministerial Alliance. They started a community garden project for a garden in each town in the county. This winter my husband & I started on the plans and now are building a greenhouse. When I found out about this garden program and contacted them to donate tomato and pepper plants. Unfortunitly they had already purchased plants , but because of the rainy weather had not been able to plow the garden areas. ( the weather has not been kind to small or large farmers here, alot of flooding) I asked them to keep me in mind for next year as I would be more than glad to donate plants for such a good cause.
I belive that since I still have so many tomato plants still needing homes I will have my 4H group help me take potted tomato plants to each resident living at the senior housing apartment buildings. At least they can have a small container garden that way. :)

Again I think you and your group are doing a wonderful thing for your area. :rose I enjoyed the photos of the beatuiful garden.

I also got some great tips from Tutter's post and like Carrie we use horse manure we have 6 so there is plenty for us & our neighbors.
Thanks guys this is a great forum with wonderful people.

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts Tutter, Blurose, and Karanleaf. I just happened to wander back through this thread and found your replies. For some odd reason, TEG didn't let me know you all had replied. :/

Each of you has brought up some wonderful ways that folks can reach out with their garden goodies or in the community and I'm thrilled to see that other folks are doing so. I love all the ideas of the gleaning, potted tomato plants, sharing of extra plants, sharing of eggs. Makes me smile! Each of those sound like such wonderful ideas. I am of the belief that these kinds of things have the tendency to grow and spread.

Doing this is especially important in these times of a tight economy, we don't always know who is in need. Thus, a supply of fresh veggies or eggs may be all that person eats that evening. And, it's not a bad way to get talking with the neighbor when you drop them a bag of goodies.

Karanleaf - I'm so sorry about the horrible weather you've experienced. I have family in Illinois and am astounded by the acreage that has gone unplanted. They've just recently gotten their gardens in and don't expect them to be as productive as years past. All the more reason that folks may appreciate our excess, right?

Latest posts