Sweet Autumn Clematis

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
The guy who cut the grass had his son help with the trimming. I planted a Sweet autumn clematis last year. It grew about 2 feet before winter. This spring it started growing like crazy. The whole vine has been weedwacked to the ground. Will it regrow or should I just pull it and plant another?

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It has been my experience that S A Clematis is pretty resilient. I would think that it will regrow. Just have to familiarize the son of the lawn guy with what are weeds and what are plants you want to keep now! :rolleyes:

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't count it as dead, yet... Mother nature is full of surprises! This is exactly why I cut my grass myself! My guy actually weedwacked marigolds... Really? Is there a human being that doesn't recognize marigolds??

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Well, there are two thouhts on this coming from Detlor Poultry....
1 - Some clematis grow better when cut back each year, Type B1 particularly, and
2 - there are two sorts of clematiseseses: Garden (such as the standard big-petal types), and Virgin's Bower (such as C. Montana and C. Paniculata (SA Clematis)). The Garden types are conservative and not pushy. The Virgin's Bower types are very vigourous (read invasive?) and large, as well as strong and fast growing. They are very resilient. I wish you fortunation! :frow

Latest posts