Sweet home Alabama

Ray

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Deep down south on a lime rock hill set me wishing for good soil for years but this past winter it finally came to me that I can still have my garden even if I have no dirt so now I'm making my own dirt and planting in pots and so far so good here and hopefully I'll figure out how to post pics of my plants soon really glad I found this site all ready gotten a lot from it

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
:frowWelcome Ray! Container gardening is a good option! There's also a thread about a few folks who are experimenting this year with straw bale gardening.

Looking forward to hearing more about your garden success this gardening season.:)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome, Ray! :frow
Where there's a will there's a way. :) Hope you have a great garden this year.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
:frow@Ray :welcome from The east coast of IA where the Mississippi River runs East to West! Glad you found us, too. Good Luck with your garden and stop by often to visit.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Ray. I do some container gardening. I find it a little harder than gardening in the ground but it can be done successfully. I have fruit trees, strawberries, and blueberries in containers. Also, have a beautiful bay laurel that is doing great. I had previously tried several times to grow one with no success but now I have one!

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Ray! My husband came from north Alabama, was born in Killen and raised in Florence. It is beautiful country and there are lots of lime hills. The creeks are clear and the well water makes the best iced tea!

Have you tried raised beds? One of our members here, @majorcatfish does all his gardening in raised beds and raises a real nice garden!

Ray

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We did try a raised bed about 4 years ago but nothing would spring up or grow we were told that the lime was seaping up in to the bed and that we would have had to put a layer of plastic down and build up from there long story short we had stacks of buckets and no plastic so now I can move my garden were ever I think it gets enough sun or were I think it looks pretty lol

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
well i do a good portion of growing in the beds.... the rest is the main garden....

amazing how much you can grow in them beds...

Latest posts