Sweet onions question...

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I read in one of my mags a while back about insuring your sweet onions remain sweet and not strong by controlling (????) at the right time during their growth. Couldn't remember if it was water or feeding that needed to be controlled at a certain time in their development. Anyone know anything about that?

I have planted sweet onions for the first time and hope to harvest and store some. I would really like to keep them sweet if possible. I have planted WallaWalla and Candy.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You'll want to withold fertilizer for the last month before harvest, to keep them from becoming too strong.

Also, onions need a good, steady supply of water while growing. You can mulch them.

Good luck! :)

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Somehow, I KNEW you would know, Tutter! They are mulched and keep pretty moist and are looking succulent. I wasn't really giving them any supplements right now....what do you recommend? My manure supply is low and I haven't had time to hunt up any likely looking piles.... :p now THAT sounded gross!!! But you know what I mean...I haven't successfully scrounged anymore aged manure. May be getting a bucket of pig manure for tea this week. Give em' a shot?? I had sprinkled a light dressing of old chicken manure on top of the mulch last week, but the crazy dogs thought it was doggy treats and I caught them hoovering it all up! :rant

Latest posts