Sweet Potato Went Traveling!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, the evidence is in, genetic evidence that is!

The sweet potato left South America and sailed out into the Pacific to Polynesia. Long before the Europeans sailed into the Pacific, from either direction.

It also looks like the domestic chicken was part of the exchange . . . Well, maybe not really but there is some evidence that the chichen arrived in South America before the Spaniards brought chickens there. Trade between Polynesia and the Americas!

Here is the story on tracking the Sweet Potato (click) :cool:.

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Scuse me for mixing metaphores but what came first the chicken or the potato? ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The article says the sweet potato.

The chicken, I believe it said, appears to have arrived very close to the time of the Spaniards.

That, I find of additional interest! The conquistadors were beating up on the Indians who were just back from trading with the Polynesians - or, something like that. We can bet that any evidence of advanced trading networks would have been downplayed or ignored. Recently, I read an argument that the "moundbuilders" along the Mississippi were of much higher population numbers than previously stated. Those additional people would have required a more advanced state of civilization.

It reminds me of the purported claims that early settlers found "no Indians" at dang-near every place they wanted to put down stakes.

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When I was in the Phillipines I used to hear the wild roosters crowing in the jungle. They sounded exactly like the ones in the barnyard. Just as an aside the Indian name for chicken was "kicking bird" for obvious reasons.