Sweet potatoes gone wild

Schroeder

Leafing Out
Reaction score
This year was my first effort at sweet potatoes, and OMG. I harvested the first of about 15 plants and I got 9 very large potatoes. I've read the textbook storage instructions:
"Dry for a couple of hours. Store in newspaper lined baskets at 80 to 85 degrees for 2 weeks, then 55 to 65 degrees until you use them."
That sounds good, but I have nowhere to store them for 2 weeks that is consistently that warm. My garage is partially heated but it won't stay that warm at night and when winter arrives, it will get down to 40 - 45 degrees. Does anyone have suggestions for the best way to store given less than ideal conditions?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
My mother stored hers in a closet in the kitchen, but that was before she had central heating. That closet did stay fairly cool. She did not worry about storing them for two weeks in warm conditions first. We just dug them, let them dry, gently brushed the dried dirt off and put them in that closet.

One of the real keys is to keep them in the dark. Don't let them see any light. Low humidity is also good for sweet potatoes.

If the garage is attached, I'd look at storing them on the wall attached to the heated house. Or look for rooms or closets that stay closed and may be a little cooler than the rest of the house.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think I will give them a try next year..... I need to learn to grow southern stuff...