Sweet Potatoes growing like a vine? Should I stake them up?

chickenlvr97

Sprout
Reaction score
The title pretty much says it...I have never planted sweet potatoes and decided to put them in my garden this year so I know nothing about them. I have noticed that they are "crawling" all over the ground like a vine. Should I stake them up?
Thanks for any help in advance :thumbsup

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
journey has it correct.....but be prepared for them to take over!!!!

THANX RICH

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just planted my slips in the greenhouse this morning. I am hoping the extra heat will help them out... We'll see!!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If they take over too much they can be cut back but no more than necessary. The vines and leaves on them produce the energy that goes into forming sweet potatos so the more they are cut back the smaller the harvest will be. I feed what I trim back to my rabbits so they do double duty, sweet potatos for my larder and trimmings for the rabbits.
There are bushier varieties available that form a mound rather than sprawling too much. Okinawan varieties are good for this.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The PIllipinos around my area grow them mostly for the greens. The tubers are just a bonus.

chickenlvr97

Sprout
Reaction score
Ok ..thanks. These were given to me from someone else and I had no idea what kind they are. They are starting to get tangled with each other and with my beans... I should probably cut them back a little. Thanks for the help! :happy_flower