Taco seasoning recipe

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I thought you were posting one and I jumped on it! I really need that recipe too! :D

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just use garlic, chili powder, lots of cumin, salt, and a little lime and my family loves it that way.... But, I'm a dumper, its a problem.

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Here's the above link in the flesh. I usually triple it or so and store it in a container.

1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just sprinkle a TBL or so on the meat while I am cooking it. IF you like it hotter, use more, if you don't use less. :)

texas75563

Sprout
Reaction score
I used this recipe about a week ago. It says to use 2 Tbsp per pound. I doubled that.

Sadly, store bought taco seasoning is full of nasty stuff with an ingredients label that reads like a chemistry textbook. If youve been wondering how to replace those small packets of MSG-riddled spices with something real, you should give this recipe for homemade taco seasoning a try.

Not only is this homemade taco seasoning more nutritious, its also cheap! As an eater of Real Food like grass-fed beef, eggs from pastured chickens, and raw milk from pastured cows, managing my grocery budget can be tricky. Ive discovered two things:

First, the secret to eating well on a budget is to properly manage my kitchen. Absolutely NOTHING gets wasted!

And Second, Ive simply had to cut other stuff out of our budget to make room for nourishing, real foods. We dont have cell phones or cable, but we eat like kings!

Homemade Taco Seasoning

The Players

* 1 Tbsp. Chili Powder
* 1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
* 1/4 tsp. Onion Powder
* 1/4 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
* 1/4 tsp. Dried Oregano
* 1/2 tsp. Paprika
* 1 1/2 tsp. Ground Cumin
* 1 tsp. Sea Salt
* 1 tsp. Black Pepper (optional)

The How-To
Now for the easy part: mix all the spices together and store in an airtight container. The optional black pepper is to increase the spiciness based on your familys tastes and preferences. If you dont like spicy foods, simply leave the black pepper out and/or be sure to adjust that tablespoon of chili powder down.

The amounts listed above make up about 2 Tbsp. of homemade taco seasoning mix the perfect amount to replace one store bought 1.25oz packet.

If youre like me, youll want to make more of this and store it in your pantry for ease of use next time. So, heres the recipe quintupled:

* 1/4 C. plus 1 Tbsp. Chili Powder
* 1 1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
* 1 1/4 tsp. Onion Powder
* 1 1/4 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
* 1 1/4 tsp. Dried Oregano
* 2 1/2 tsp. Paprika
* 2 Tbsp. plus 1 1/2 tsp. Ground Cumin
* 1 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. Sea Salt
* 1 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. Black Pepper (optional)

Click here to see where to find organic, bulk spices.

If you use the quintupled recipe, youll measure out 2 Tbsp. of the homemade taco seasoning per pound of meat. Or, if youre like me, you simply add it to taste.

Enjoy!

Latest posts