Taking my "plunge" down under...

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are still working! They are one the third bore hole! I am so excited!

I think the contractor said there would be 2-3 days inside the house to connect everything and carry away the old unit.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good news Smart Red. Hopefully you will be done by this weekend! I guess I should say "they".

Mary
Nope, you were right, me! I will be done with the worry, done with the uncertainty, done with the fear my furnace will experience a sudden death, done with the expectation that winter will return and no outside work can be done. Yup! Hopefully I will be done by this weekend. At least the end is in view.

These guys today? I LOVE "they".

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
And I correct that they go down deep enough for 40 degrees which is easy to heat to 70 degrees? If that is correct what fuel is used to bring it up to warm. And then cooling is quite easy in summer.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Think refrigerator. Bring 50-55 degree water up. To cool house, they raise the temp(leaving cool) and send back to ground. To Heat, they lower the water temp(leaving heat) send it back to heat up.

Just like heat pump where heat pump uses air temp (worthless in air temps below 35 degress) they use water temp.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Think refrigerator. Bring 50-55 degree water up. To cool house, they raise the temp(leaving cool) and send back to ground. To Heat, they lower the water temp(leaving heat) send it back to heat up.
Correct, @seedcorn! As I understand it, the fluid running through the pipes (each bore hole is 150 feet down) will absorb and carry the Earth's constant 54-55-ish temperature to a compressor -- like a refrigerator has -- and raise the temperature for the house to about 115 degrees. Then they carry the fluid back into the ground (a mere 2-3 degrees lowered) to absorb the warmth again.

This is reversed in the summer to draw hot air from the house and send it down to groundwater to be cooled. In our case, the heat from the house will first be superheated for hot water use. Most of the summer's need for hot water -- and some of the winter's -- will be supplied by the geo-system.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Correction: the air flow out of the registers is about 115 degrees. That will warm the house to wherever I have the thermostat set. DIfferent only because the current forced air systems heat the air flow out of the registers to 135 or higher. "They" say geothermal heat feels cooler for this reason even though the house temperature is the same. Frankly, I seldom stand right over the registers anyway so I doubt I will notice the difference.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is so COOL! I have always thought if we where to build I would like to look into Geo-thermal. Like the idea of radiant heat under the tile and wood floors, too.

Latest posts