Talking about Cukes..Armenian Cucumber (Cucumis Melo) Pic's

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

Jared asked for pics, so here they are..The Armenian Cuumbers (are really a melon type) were grown up a trellis(2) in my Greenhouse in 2010/11. I planted way to many seeds. The vines grew up to the top of the roof and back down. The leaves are huge. The vine had hundreds of flowers. They require more heat than other varieties. The fruits can grow up to 36" long. My biggest was 24".. The fruit are ribbed, and best picked at a younger stage around 10-18" for slicing and fresh eating.. Mine were shaped pretty straight, since they grew up a trellis. But they will twist and turn when grown on the ground..You dont need to peel. It is crisp and thin skinned.. The fruits have a mild refreshing flavor. Great slicing cuke..
I tied up a few vines at the top, but did not support/tie the fruit..

The vines are beautiful, quite the sight. But I grew way to many plants amongst the tomatoes and beans ect..lol.. never again. It was like a jungle..

Ginny

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can you make pickles from these? Or are they for fresh eating only? Great pics, thanks for sharing!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:th

thats impressive! Thank you for sharing.

Another variety to add to my list of gotta trys. :D

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Baymule, yes, you can make pickles with them. My favorite is bread and butter pickles. We put up about 40 quarts of them last year. Yum!

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
baymule said:
Can you make pickles from these? Or are they for fresh eating only? Great pics, thanks for sharing!
What skeeter say's..Yes you can make pickles out of them! I also sliced them in fruit salad, and used in relish..

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Isn't that something?! Relish, pickles and fruit salad.

I grew them in the garden one year. No rampant growth. No 100's of blossoms. No 24" . . . not even large leaves!

There was something like 1 fruit/vine and about 14" long. The vines were "well behaved" almost, to an extreme. So - you can grow them in a melon-challenged (& sometimes cucumber-challenged) environment and I guess it could be seen as worthwhile. I didn't have enuf for anything but eating fresh :p.

Steve

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Isn't that something?! Relish, pickles and fruit salad.

I grew them in the garden one year. No rampant growth. No 100's of blossoms. No 24" . . . not even large leaves!

There was something like 1 fruit/vine and about 14" long. The vines were "well behaved" almost, to an extreme. So - you can grow them in a melon-challenged (& sometimes cucumber-challenged) environment and I guess it could be seen as worthwhile. I didn't have enuf for anything but eating fresh :p.

Steve
Steve I grew mine in the GH..It gives me an extra 2 months or so.. The heat from the GH all summer long helped them grow rampant..I threw some seeds in the garden, along a fence, and the vine only grew about 8 feet with a few blossoms, and produced only 2, 6 inch fruit...

Ginny

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
YAY! This answers my question about Armenian cucs on a trellis. I'm going vertical where I can for higher yields and less weeding....

Of course every year I claim I will have less weeding. I think this is a fantasy I keep so that I won't quit gardening!:bun :bun :bun