Tall grasses for privacy

Andrew

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Well, since a great start last year, aside from building a nice pergola, we had one after another landscaping "issues" including 3 lost trees, one of which was my favorite (a Bradford Pear.. ) that was a great shade tree.

Anyway, beside the fact that Bradfords should stay in the wild where they belong, it's gone from a spot that also gave great privacy.

The spot is on the Southeast of our deck with lots of sun. I'd like to plant some grasses that grow large/tall, perhaps 15' high and 4' wide, but am not sure where to start. I read somewhere pampas grass wasn't recommended, but can't find the reference now and don't remember why.

I'm looking to possible do a cluster of 3 with some other stuff around and between.

For what it's worth the deck is about 2' off the ground where the grasses would be planted. We're in Southern NJ.

Any advice appreciated!

thanks,
Andrew

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't have any good grass suggestions for you, Andrew; sorry. But I have heard that pampas grass is a bad idea, as well. It gets so big around and is a real bear to try to get rid of. And it is messy. Maybe you could plant some tall thin trees there? Evergreen trees? Build a screen and let vines grow on it?

Andrew

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hi,

Well, I really like the idea of a few large grasses here, but I think I'll have to find an alternative to the pampas such as Miscanthus giganteus . I'd do two or three and probably fill in with some herbs and dry-tolerant annuals.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with 15 foot tall grasses, but I'm sure there are some.

Karl Foerster is a wonderful clumper that easily grows 5 feet. It could work maybe for some parts.

Yea, Pampas grass seems to be the goto for most folks. The Pink kind is a much neater plant, but is also only about half as massive.

Sorry for the loss of your Bradford Pear

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have clumping type bamboo along a fence to give us privacy from the neighbors and I love it! My neighbor gave me some in a 5 gallon bucket and I started out with that. In a year, I divided it into 3 plants and have been dividing it ever since to get more plants. It grows fairly quickly, low water, and is evergreen. I also like the way it moves with the wind. But most importantly, it doesn't give me the wide shade that trees do. I wanted to keep my yard as sunny as possible.

If you get the running type of bamboo, you do need to contain it otherwise it will be a nightmare. There are bamboo barriers especially for this. It is just a very heavy plastic roll that you form into a circle around your bamboo, duct tape the ends, and bury it about 2 feet.

There are many different types of bamboo out there. I have the green one and the black one. There are some with very thick canes also.

Hope this helps.

Mary

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The Miscanthus 'Giganteus' (Giant Chinese Silver Grass) is a beautiful alternate to the Pampas Grass. It will want to spread after it gets well established (two to three years) and can can be invasive. But if you use a propane burner to burn off all the old growth in early spring you can keep it somewhat contained and it isn't too messy. I really like the Miscanthus 'Giganteus' because it stays upright and attractive all winter here in Indiana.

If you plant in an area where you can mow all the way around, some of the winter hardy bamboo types make excellent privacy plants. Some can grow 20 ft. tall but all are very invasive. Mowing all the way around is a way to control the spread.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are companies that sell "living fences" of bamboo. That surprised the heck out of me. What surprised me even more is the cost. 500 clams for 50 feet!!! Those better exude gold dust for that price!

elijahboy

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
DO NOT PLANT SAVANNAH GRASS EVER....especially if you have kids

its like a big bush of swords thay you only get rid of by burning it to the ground...many times

Latest posts