Target shooting near garden?

mooman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi all, first post. Recently moved out to the country and am planting a 1/4 acre of bottom land along the stream that borders my property. When tilling, I left a lane in the middle of the field open so that I could use it as a shooting range (perfect because I'm firing into a hillside and there is no development on the 8 acres behind my parcel). Talking with some friends the subject came up about lead toxicity.

Question: Is the lead in that hillside a concern? It is aproximately 10 feet upslope from nearest bed. I am going to build some bullet traps out of old pallets, but to date I've fired about 500 round into the hill. I don't want to go through the trouble of digging out the lead if I don't have to since I have about a million other things that need to be done there. Any advice? Anybody know how far lead migrates in soil?

Thanks in advance

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good question. I'm sure it does get into the soil, but to what extent and how toxic it really is, might be more of the question. Personally I think lead is a bit over rated in small quantities, but I also wouldn't want to fill the soil with high levels of lead. I say the sooner you get your traps up the better, but maybe to dig a small trench so water doesn't run from the hill straight into your beds. Blame ROHS compliance rules for my feelings on lead.

Latest posts