Tater Bugs

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It won't be long and we will have to start battling the potatoe bugs. What does everyone here do for them? I hate to spray any more than I have to but don't have time to hand pick them.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bacillus thuringiensis for potato beetles is a way to go, Grow 4 Food.

Bt is commonly used and effective. Bonide sells something they call "Beetle Beater" - it's easy to use and the claim is that it's safe for other critters including humans.

This bacteria has to be eaten by the beetle larvae to kill them. It makes the bugs sick and they stop feeding on the plants. Bt needs to go on the plants early so that the larvae won't make it to the adult stage. And then, it won't kill insect eggs - the the plants must be resprayed about a week later after the eggs have hatched.

I find that the beetles like deadly nightshade weeds more than they like potatoes, eggplant, or bean plants. (Not that there's any weeds in my garden or anything. ;) If I watch the nightshade closely, I can spray before the bugs have matured or done much damage to the veggies.

Some years, I'm happy to say, the veggies don't need to be sprayed for the potato bugs at all :)!

Steve

Hencackle

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just pick the beetles off and crush them on the ground. The larvae and eggs are soft enough to squish them in place on the leaves.
It also helps that I grow my potatoes in wire cages and the vines are kept upright and it's easy to inspect the leaves frequently. I've done this for the last 2 growing seasons and I noticed a marked reduction in potato beetles.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hencackle
I used to do the beetle picking but it just takes to much time that I don't have. I figure a spray and something else planted close that they don' t like.

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Grow 4 Food said:
What does everyone here do for them?
My pest control company takes care of them. :cool:

P5020290.jpg

Hencackle

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You're lucky Carri that your chickens eat potato beetles. Mine won't touch them. They ignore the bean beetles as well.

miss_thenorth

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
i hear Guineas eat ALOT of bugs, ticks, fleas etc, and leave your plants alone...--I'm seriously think about getting some in the spring

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am not far from the guiena stage either. I picked / knocked off about 50 last night and know good and well that there was a 100 I didn't get. I did spray so I will find out tonight if it helped or what. I was thinking that I had heard that marigolds were suppose to help with this also?