Tawny Coster

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
DH is doing yardwork for an older couple and he found dozens of these things on one of their vine plants. They have basically devestated the vine. What should be done? Soapy water? Insecticide?

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
First off your naming a butterfly that is common from India. Is this correct?
Tawny-Coster-2.jpg

Aside from the actual species, your DH has discovered a vine growing on the older folks property that is being devastated by caterpillars? What kind of vine is this? Is this an annual or a perennial?

Sometimes, as gardeners, it is our duty to preserve not only a plants life but as well the life of those that live in the garden. I have had plants in the past that, one or two of them, that have been devastated by a caterpillar or worm, and have allowed the infestation only because it is supporting something of value; either to the garden or the critters that live in the garden.

If this were a true butterfly caterpillar I would opt to let them season out. Most are migratory and will not end up where they originate.

I, myself, had an occurrence of a caterpillar that decided to take down two nice Spanish Broom this year. I let them continue, they finished their cycle, and are long gone now; this Fall I will take down any damaged parts or dead parts and the plant will rebound naturally. Without my Spanish Broom there would have been about 100,000 less butterflies in our world....of course they could have been moths, and into the mouths of babes I say!....meaning, all the baby birds, spiders, and other gardening friends...and our frogs and toads.

I may be wrong in this all-together and this may be an invasive, non-welcomed pest to North America and is not welcomed here. I really don't know. Here is a list of invasive species to look over http://www.forestryimages.org/browse/invinsects.cfm You will find names and pictures of larvae and damage of these pests. With a more proper identification maybe a more proper method of removal might be identified.

Let us know how things worked out.

Ron

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I googled the caterpillar and that name is what I came up with as for what this 'pillar looks like. When DH saw the butterfly pics he said "Yeah, they have hundreds of those everywhere" so...

Well, he didn't kill them - we just wanted to make sure it was something to leave be..... :)

BTW, he brought one home in a water bottle so I could see it. It currently has leaves to munch on. We thought it would be cool to see if it could turn into a butterfly for our kids to see....

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HaHa, teach me to check the board before going to bed! Here is a pic I snapped right quick. Lucky the thing is still alive - my 2 yr old thought it looked "lovable" if you catch my drift....lol.

IMG_2144.jpg

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
that is really pretty actually :) both the caterpiller and the

I have a fuzzy yellow caterpiller I have no idea what it is can you guys tell me? if I show a picture? it is yellow and loves the hollyhocks I can not see any damage from it really it just sits there looking pretty

I wish I had more butterflies some years I have a few natives come through and it is such a joy but while we have improved the number of them and brought in lots more spiders and good bees I am not sure about butterflies and how toget them here ..the butterfly bush is very invasive and on the list of things not to plant in Western Wa ..do yotu hink that I could grow Spanish Broom here

I tried milkweed but no luck

I hope I am not intruding Broke Down you got me very interested here ...I would have thought that was just another pretty butterfly in the garden if I had one here!

so much to learn you know?

Ron you are a wealth thanks so much for sharing!

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Perhaps you could try some hyacinth bean vine? I have NO idea how it grows or if it is invasive but I have some beans that I plan on trying next spring. Maybe I should plant them this fall?

Yes, that is a rather unusual caterpillar. And it's ok if you hijack! We are all just learning and discussing anyway, yes?

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That looks just like the gulf fritillary caterpillar we had earlier this summer. Here was ours:
DSCF0003a.jpg

The butterfly it turned into:
DSCN0314.jpg

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OMG,

The heck with the vine, that is BEAUTIFUL!!! I love that Butterfly!

Thank you for sharing,

Ron

Latest posts