@&#*& Teenagers!!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jared77 said:
It all depends on if it stays attached to the post or not. If it does then it would just go down with the rest of the post, car would go over the post and snag the mailbox with the undercarriage.

Most of the time this is what happens when we see calls like that go out because cars have a low bumper/front grill and the point of impact with the bumper so down it goes or if going fast enough its sheared off and thrown from the force. Since the wooden post is the weakest material and sustains the highest amount of force at impact.

Its an issue if whats impacting it is higher up, say a school bus then its hitting it much higher and making contact with the weighted box itself. But you've also got a much bigger vehicle protecting the driver and other occupants.

HOWEVER the rules are totally different if you put in say a metal post. They tend not to give. I was on one car accident where the home owner opted to use a metal tube sunk into the ground and inside the tube they'd poured cement. The mailbox was a thick metal box welded onto the post. It looked like it was built to withstand a missle strike. A car hit that, at a reasonable rate of speed and it didn't budge.

Another thought, what about putting some kind of plants up near the mailbox? So its kind of shaded and who wants to hit a bush or shrub? They are soft, and there is no "BOOM" of the mailbox being crushed with a bat. Like a lilac or some kind of evergreen? Either one would only serve to add more plants to your property and most vandals will move onto an easier target.
OR something really prickly! OR even a nice thick vine/arbor with a sign saying "BEWARE - POISON OAK!"

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
canesisters said:
Jared77 said:
It all depends on if it stays attached to the post or not. If it does then it would just go down with the rest of the post, car would go over the post and snag the mailbox with the undercarriage.

Most of the time this is what happens when we see calls like that go out because cars have a low bumper/front grill and the point of impact with the bumper so down it goes or if going fast enough its sheared off and thrown from the force. Since the wooden post is the weakest material and sustains the highest amount of force at impact.

Its an issue if whats impacting it is higher up, say a school bus then its hitting it much higher and making contact with the weighted box itself. But you've also got a much bigger vehicle protecting the driver and other occupants.

HOWEVER the rules are totally different if you put in say a metal post. They tend not to give. I was on one car accident where the home owner opted to use a metal tube sunk into the ground and inside the tube they'd poured cement. The mailbox was a thick metal box welded onto the post. It looked like it was built to withstand a missle strike. A car hit that, at a reasonable rate of speed and it didn't budge.

Another thought, what about putting some kind of plants up near the mailbox? So its kind of shaded and who wants to hit a bush or shrub? They are soft, and there is no "BOOM" of the mailbox being crushed with a bat. Like a lilac or some kind of evergreen? Either one would only serve to add more plants to your property and most vandals will move onto an easier target.
OR something really prickly! OR even a nice thick vine/arbor with a sign saying "BEWARE - POISON OAK!"
That's a really good idea...especially a prickly one! ;) The mailman would know it was there, but the punks wouldn't.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know if the highway dept. would allow it, but some boulders extending along the sides of the mailbox might deter mailbox vandals. You could plant some flowers among the boulders, as if your main objective was a rock garden.

fair weather chicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
6x6 sunk in about 3 ft. we take our mailbox in after the mail has run and put it out every am. got tired of picking it up 1/4 mile down the road.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I slid off the road several years ago and was delighted to find the homeowner had fashioned a tip over system that only required sitting the post and box up again! Did no damage to my car. I think it would simply fall over if struck by a bat. What fun would that be?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
fair weather chicken said:
6x6 sunk in about 3 ft. we take our mailbox in after the mail has run and put it out every am. got tired of picking it up 1/4 mile down the road.
wow !!! whats interesting is no matter what part of the country people live in they all have had this done.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I feel for you. I would check regulations as it is frightening how you can get sued!

Looks like someone didn't get spanked enough!