Tell me about spaghetti squash, please

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Does it grow well in zone 6b-7a? Is it hard to get it into a spaghetti-like shape? What does it taste like? How many squash can I anticipate per hill?

Thanks, all!

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm in 6A, and had pretty good luck growing it, except for the *sigh* squash borers. The fruit itself isn't shaped like spaghetti - it's the innards that are stringy once you cook em & scrape them out. And it's kinda like most squash - it doesn't taste like much, so you can dress it up with any sort of sauce.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I has a long pumpkin like shape. I grow it easily in zone 6. It has a mild flavor. It is stringy looking like spaghetti. Stringy does not imply tough. Cut it in half, scrape out the seeds and throw it on the grill. MMMMMMMMMM....

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would recommend buying one in the store- and trying it. They aren't my favorite- and I personally wouldn't bother planting them. I am not saying you might not love them- but giving it a try first wouldn't hurt....

flyboy718

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Love 'em, they are good stuff! Cut 'em in half length wise, spray a little olive oil on 'em and put 'em face down on a pan in an oven at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Scrape the strings out and melt a pat of butter on each serving and maybe a little salt. Put the left over shells in the compost pile. Repeat.

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks! And why on earth didn't I think about buying one and trying it for myself. Duh! We have lots of space, so I think I'll plant a hill and see how it goes. If they aren't my cup of tea, I'll pass 'em off to the food bank. ;)

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I agree w/ Lesa, really dislike them. I do use squash for my spaghetti though. I use zuchini that I slice w/ a julliene vegetable peeler (really cheap on line under $10) I freeze them in freezer bags, and in season just pop the "noodles" in the microwave for 1.5 - 2 minutes, cover w/ sauce and cheese and eat. I think it is much better then spaghetti squash.

I am in zone 7b and they grow well here too.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Kassaundra said:
I agree w/ Lesa, really dislike them. I do use squash for my spaghetti though. I use zuchini that I slice w/ a julliene vegetable peeler (really cheap on line under $10) I freeze them in freezer bags, and in season just pop the "noodles" in the microwave for 1.5 - 2 minutes, cover w/ sauce and cheese and eat. I think it is much better then spaghetti squash.

I am in zone 7b and they grow well here too.
Sounds great, I always look for ways to use up my zuchini. I am not big on spaghetti squash either.

Emma

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I'm going to try growing spaghetti squash in containers this year. :) It'll be my "wild card" veggie. I usually stay with leaf radishes and leaf brassica, but like to grow something as a bit of a lark each year. I got some Botanical Interests seeds today. I usually wait and plant seeds outdoors as the growing season is long in zone 7B.

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I ended up planting four plants, since I found a pony pack at Home Depot for 99 cents. Boy oh boy, we'd better LOVE those squash.....they are prolific! Out of the four plants, we have over 20 squash in various stages of development. They're very pretty once they turn from green to that creamy white. The biggest ones are about football sized right now. When do I harvest them?