Tennis Ball Lettuce taking forever, what gives?

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I dunno if anybody's ever heard of Tennis Ball Lettuce, it's a heirloom variety that is an ancestor of the Boston Bibb, if I remember correctly, and when I put it in my garden nobody either around me or online seemed to know exactly how long it would take to germinate.

Research indicated 10-14 days.

Well, I finally got lettuce sprouts 18 days after I planted it!!! Yikes!!! Now, granted this was last year's seed and only 8 of the 12 seeds I planted sprouted (I was VERY careful and VERY clear about where I planted it because I've never grown lettuce before and wanted to recognize the sprouts).

It seems to be doing much better now that the weather is sunny and warm. Grows approximately 1.4" to 1/2" a day, and I'm not kidding.

But now I'm scratching my head and giving the sprouts a quizzical look. Isn't lettuce supposed to wilt and bolt and get bitter when it gets warm? How warm are we talking? It's going to be in the low 80's next week and has been in the mid-70's ever since it sprouted. SHouldn't this lettuce have been thriving in the 40's and 50's and sunless days we had since I planted it?

When can I harvest this lettuce? Weeks? Months? August? Research seemed to indicate that it would only be a couple weeks behind the 22 day Cherry Belle Radishes I planted (which are also way behind -- was it the bad weather? Really? I thought radishes LIKED cold weather???)

I am confused.

Is this lettuce really a warm weather lettuce? When they say 'doesn't do well in heat' how hot do they mean? Why are my 22 day radishes (which are on day 10) only just now getting their 1st true leaves? Will they suddenly have a massive growth spurt this last week? And what about this warm weather we're supposed to have?

Help! (This is the only bad part about growing something new, you have no idea what's normal and what's bad/wrong . . . )

Whitewater

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Whitewater, Tennis Ball is new to me!

Thomas Jefferson grew it at Monticello, eh? Seems like I was around with Thomas Jefferson . . . I knew Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson was a friend of mine. You sure Thomas Jefferson knew how to play tennis??

Southern Exposure Seed Exchange in Virginia carries it. They list it as a Batavian/Crisphead but mention Boston . . ? I thought Boston and the Bibbs are Butterheads . . ? Batavians weren't even mentioned 20 or 30 years ago. I think they must be just "lumping" Batavians and Crispheads but things can get confusing :rolleyes:.

Anyway, if it is a Batavian, and gardeners were at least growing Batavian lettuce in Batavia when Tom Jefferson was at Monticello, that's good for dry, hot weather lettuce growing! "Nevada" is one of my favorite lettuce varieties. It may have been grown in Nevada when Jefferson . . . never mind :p.

Anyway, here's some information from Colorado State U on growing lettuce where the plants are likely to bolt to seed because of heat and dryness. Lettuce Bolting Resistance Project They had, "26 days above 90F" that year!

I don't know where Tennis Ball fits into the scheme of things, and it may not be one that can make it for 100 days without bolting, but that article might give you some ideas on temperatures, lettuce, and such.

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
On the radishes, yes, expect a burst of growth. Radishes have to be one of the fastest growing, easiest veggies there is.

I do not know about that specific lettuce. I only grow loose leaf varieties. You might try an experiment if you are worried about it bolting in the heat. On a few of them, try putting up some shade, maybe a piece of lattice to block some of the sun. Keeping the ground moist is important for lettuce too. Not soaking wet but damp.

Good luck!

Latest posts