Tent caterpillars on my roses!

Herbal

Sprout
Reaction score
This would be the second morning I have gone out to find them hairy little caterpillars on my roses, just munching away! And when I say munching, I mean utterly devouring leaves whole.
They migrate from the neighbors yard in little hairy herds it seems, and my bug killer isn't working.

What I have tried is a made-for-roses bug killer, it has a long list of things it's kills; Tent caterpillars are apparently not on it, or maybe they just have to eat half the plant before the effects kick in?

My question is; what can I use?
Most of these roses are new this year, little guys. I am not sure if that would change anything.

We have never had this problem of the tents eating our roses before, they always seemed content to stay just above my reach in some of our larger trees.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Herbal said:
This would be the second morning I have gone out to find them hairy little caterpillars on my roses, just munching away! And when I say munching, I mean utterly devouring leaves whole.
They migrate from the neighbors yard in little hairy herds it seems, and my bug killer isn't working.

What I have tried is a made-for-roses bug killer, it has a long list of things it's kills; Tent caterpillars are apparently not on it, or maybe they just have to eat half the plant before the effects kick in?

My question is; what can I use?
Most of these roses are new this year, little guys. I am not sure if that would change anything.

We have never had this problem of the tents eating our roses before, they always seemed content to stay just above my reach in some of our larger trees.
BT should kill them.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
If it were me, I would grab a bucket of soapy water- and hand pick them. If the bushes are small, it shouldn't be too bad of a job...You will have leafless roses in no time, if you don't get rid of them!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
BT will do them in but you have to keep tearing the tents out so they can't hide from it.

Bark10der

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have 11 beautiful roses bushes hand picking is not an option I have sprayed with soapy water and it gets them off for a day. Where do I get the BT? And is that what it is called? I have only had to buy food for the roses, these catapillars are killing them, the trees and my wisteria bush. i don't like poisons but i don't see what else I can do!!!:(

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can get it at any garden center. It is Bacillus Thirengeris or something like that. One brand name is "Dipel." It may be in the organic section.