Terrarium Plants?

Iceblink

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Does anyone here have a terrarium? What kinds of plants have worked best for you?

I won't have it for more than a few months, so relatively fast growing is ok.

Have you ever used Norfolk Island Pine?

Thanks for your responses.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There is no way a Norfolk Island Pine would ever fit in a terrarium! I've always been interested, but have never had one. Here is a Google search that might get you started.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I used to do terrariums in grad school (I know it sort of seems like I used to do *everything* in grad school, but, what can I say, I did :p and terrariums are a good way of separating cats and plants ;))

So if you have any particular questions I might be able to help some.

DO NOT even consider a Norfolk Island Pine. My mom grows them in the dining room and has to give them away to libraries etc when they start brushing the 8' ceiling, and has even thrown one or two away over the years when she couldn't find a sucker to take it. They are TREES :)

Pat

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I do terrariums. I have 3 going right now. One is a huge glass antique bottle that would accommodate a Norfolk Pine(but I'm currently using it to root some gardenia cuttings), and you can get very small Norfolk pines. BUT the humidity produced inside a terrarium is more than a Norfolk Pine would like-IMO

ivan3

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
For a short haul I'd expect Philodendrons, Spider plants, wandering Jews would be great. They grow fast and require minimal attention with sufficient light.

I don't use terrariums, per se. But do extend the life of cut flowers to unusual lengths with low tech cat proofing:

jarringSpring0508.jpg

Latest posts