The bees survived!!!!

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Carol Dee - I always use an attractant. I purchase the pheromone tubes from Mann Lake and put one in every trap. I also use a Q-tip cotton swab to apply some lemongrass oil all around the entrance to the traps. A tiny bit goes a long way, so don't over do the lemongrass oil.

Last year I caught 6 swarms and the year before that a friend and I got 48 swarms using my 7 traps and his 9 traps. 48 swarms was more than twice the number we have ever trapped in one season prior to 2013. We had a very active beekeeper's club where I used to live and we always have people on the waiting list for swarms.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, if the hollow trees are right for the bees- I think they will find and choose it without pheromone. I would certainly place an ad for a hive in your garden. Your plants would love it, and you could get some honey... sounds good to me!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Carol Dee - I always use an attractant. I purchase the pheromone tubes from Mann Lake and put one in every trap. I also use a Q-tip cotton swab to apply some lemongrass oil all around the entrance to the traps. A tiny bit goes a long way, so don't over do the lemongrass oil.

Last year I caught 6 swarms and the year before that a friend and I got 48 swarms using my 7 traps and his 9 traps. 48 swarms was more than twice the number we have ever trapped in one season prior to 2013. We had a very active beekeeper's club where I used to live and we always have people on the waiting list for swarms.

Thanks for the information. DH has both the pheromone and lemon grass oil. He would love to get involved with a beekeepers club but the nearest is an 1 or 1 1/2 hour drive. He and the son built a bee vac and removed a swarm from a barn 2 summers ago. He also picked up a swarm at the cemetery where a friend works from a downed tree. But was still new at bee keeping and they swarmed on him! Now he knows how to get them to stay. (Hopefully.)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, if you get pheromone traps early for yellow jackets- you can often catch the queen. Without her, no new nests. They sell a contraption with the pheromone at Home Depot, etc. I have had very good results with them.

Latest posts