The charming side of pest control

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
7504_054.jpg

A pair of chickadees made their nest in this bird house. That in itself is not really remarkable. But this bird house is right at the very busy front door, and it's the first successful nest that any bird has made there. Many birds have checked it out over the years, but nobody seems to like the "neighbors" ( us! ). They have also beat the wasps who usually build a nest in there that I diligently hose out.

It's a busy pair of birds now working hard to keep the hatchlings well fed.
We've been amazed at the hundreds of trips they make every day with bugs in beak to feed their babies.

There's a shepherds hook in front of the living room window that holds a humming bird feeder. That has become their lookout perch that they land on before entering the bird house. It gives us a close up view of them and what groceries they are carrying.

Lately it's been caterpillars. By the gross!! We wondered where they were getting them all so I sat outside yesterday with the binoculars and watched them. They flew into the pines and firs, and worked the tips of the branches.

So, the caterpillars they're bringing back are eating our trees! Go chickadees!

I'm not sure, but it might be the spruce bud worm that they're cleaning up. That's good news as there has been a lot of damage around here from those. But whatever the caterpillars are, I'm so happy to have help from such an industrious family. :)

~ edited to add that the ugly wire fencing is to keep the blasted cats from trying to catch them ~

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are charming little birds in a charming little home.

So hardworking.

Okay, what are they - Black-capped or Mountain?

Steve ;)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
They are charming little birds in a charming little home.

So hardworking.

Okay, what are they - Black-capped or Mountain?

Steve ;)
Mountain. I think. They have the little white eyebrows.

I wonder... do you suppose they cross breed with each other? We have both mountain and black capped up here.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
How lucky! I have tons of them during the winter-but they seem to disappear during the summer... leaving me to hand pluck the caterpillars myself! I had a nesting pair once, at my other house and I was able to peek in and see the eggs. They were so tiny- smaller than a marble! Enjoy your bird watching and free pest control!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
lesa said:
How lucky! I have tons of them during the winter-but they seem to disappear during the summer... leaving me to hand pluck the caterpillars myself! I had a nesting pair once, at my other house and I was able to peek in and see the eggs. They were so tiny- smaller than a marble! Enjoy your bird watching and free pest control!
They are at the feeders here year round. They love the back oil sunflower seed.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always have BOSS in the feeder, maybe they fly to your house? I bet your bugs taste better than mine!

Latest posts