The Community Garden Project - The Easy Garden Community WEIGHS In!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok, I've been thinking about this, and since its plenty early still, everyone can read this and think about whether they want to join in or not.

We've been talking about the costs of food, are we going to make a savings or not, what will is cost to start and if there is really a value $$$ wise to gardening anymore.

Now, I think there is, but is it on the grand wide scale!? I have no doubt in my mind there is. With an economy like it is in the United States, with food prices on the rise here and around the world... shortages are likely, and eventually they will reach the US. (Though I think it is so here, like Wifezilla mentioned... there is something funny in the USDA data for last year.)

Anyways. Here is the plan!

As a group, here in this thread, I would like us all to write what we planted, our approximant costs for THIS YEAR ONLY. This is a one year project/one season following from now until the end of fall 2010. So if you spent $500 putting in new beds or new equipment last year, don't count that as 2010 costs. If you pay $55 in seeds this year, and $40 for organic treatments / fertilizers ect, count that! Don't count flower bulb or seed costs. This is just for food.

I have a spreadsheet if anyone wants to keep detailed results for this project. I will be using it for mine. I eventually want to put together a book to be published.

So in my project, I am adding pots and buckets to the garden and keeping track of what my potted items produce as well for those people living in apartments or with little to no land to use.

Otherwise, you can post here with each harvest with what you collected and its weight. I would also like to know the market value for those foods in your area at the time.

I think this sounds like a super fun project for us all to get involved in!

Here's the spreadsheet if you want to download it to fill in through the season:
http://www.rent-my-hubby.com/Trial-Garden-Spreadsheet.xls

Please share any additional advise you may have as well! This should be fun, and involve anyone who wants to join.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:lol: Costs you!? I was hoping we all discover it helps us SAVE!

Remember, if you use organic practices you get to claim a higher price in the market value column! :D :weee

Anyways, :throw I just want everyone to see themselves succeed!

Come here, share it and inspire others. Oh yes!

We should all post our lot sizes we are gardening. Like I have .97 of an acre... but I'm not gardening that! I am gardening just under 200 sq ft. Maybe more this year by mixing in food with my flower beds... we'll see.

I just had to cancel my seed orders though as my husband got laid off again today. So no income here... so we're going to try to work with what we got.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about DH vfem. That really stinks! The minute I see a spread sheet my eyes glaze over. I am such a " seat of the pants gardener!" I am going to try and grow almost all our food this season though, so I will try to keep some records....Great idea though!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Don't you notice when you see someone else have AWESOME results, you want to see if you can have awesome results too?!

I just got so motivated this year.

I am planning a writing a book from my research, I won't be taking anyone else research into account unless they want that information added in. With credit of course... but this project is so we can share as a COMMUNITY!!!! :D

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was just talking to hubby about keeping track of things this year. I know I had over 50 lbs of grapes alone. (More like 75, but I am not sure how much hubby, son and the squirrels got before I could weigh :p)

50lbs of organic grapes is about $3/lb so that was $150 right there.

My expenses this year so far are really easy to track. $20 order from Baker Creek. $10 from Park seed late last year. If I count the light bulbs for the starters, that is another $10. That's it so far :D

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
This will be very interesting. I will try to keep good records on mine as well.

Very sorry to hear of your husband's layoff, vfem. :hugs So many folks I know here are out of work. We lost one plant in this county that employed over 800 people and many support contractors laid off after that...like dominoes. Hope things will pick back up soon!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've asked my mom to be a dear and help me this year to track all this stuff. As she's gotten to old and 'frail' as she says to help physically, then this is helping enough on her part to pass on several lbs of goods each week to her! :lol:

I've been suckered!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
It will be interesting to read the responses but a couple of quick questions.

1) Why aren't you figuring in fixed costs (equipment, land, etc) as they are part of the costs of gardening.

2) Are you going to figure in a labor charge? If labor is free, I'll be posting where and when to show up for work here. Thanks in advance for the free labor. :lol: I'd love to see how much time each person spends in their garden working in it. Drinking coffee on a Saturday morning admiring your work counts as break time or could figure in the value of not having to go somewhere to pay admittance to a nature preserve or aboreatum (my spelling is horrible).

If I just use seed, plants, fertilizer costs, my garden is a financial gold mine. I run a 60' X 40' garden and a 30' X 30' sweet corn patch. My sweet corn patch is very unreliable because of wild life. Some years they get all of it--or seems that way. I guess I could shoot them and try and convince my wife that eating raccoon, skunk, opossums, etc are good eats. God forbid that I should shoot bambi when they are in sweet corn patch. :cool: So if I convince my family that eating raccoon is good, what is the value of a lb. of raccoon?

Latest posts