the continuing adventures of a newbie canner

mirime

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So firstly, here's a photo of the b&b pickles I made from the Ball package last week (which, btw, I gave away all the rest of my Ball pickle mix, because I still find the directions irritating and confusing.) As you can see, I didn't pack enough in, as they're all floating. I haven't tried them yet - they look okay (I think!).
5648_bbpickles7-08.jpg

Today I picked 5 lbs blueberries at a U-Pick place, and made 6 half-pints of jam, froze some berries for later, and saved a bunch for a pie for Sunday dinner.
5648_blueberryjam7-08.jpg

One question, oh, actually two questions:

1) If a jar falls over in the canning water bath, is it lost for good?

2) What do you do (if anything) with the little bit of water that sits on top of the lid when you pull the jars out of the water bath?

Thank you all for all your encouragement and advice!

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey there your pickles are looking good. Most of mine look like yours, they shrink in the jars. The jar that fell over, just set it right side up and it should be sealed like the rest. The little bit of water left on the lid, just wipe it off with a dish towl. Enjoy all of your hard work.

mirime

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks Laura!! I had been so discouraged, thinking I really messed up with the pickles. :bouquet

When I wiped off one of the jam jars, the lid went "clipop" and sealed so I freaked that I sealed it by force, and had to make sure I didn't mess things up.

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am new to canning myself but this is what I do (because this is what I read to do)....Pull the jars out of the canner and set on a wooden cutting board that is covered with a towel. Don't touch the jars, just set them out and then cover them all with a towel to protect them from breezes...don't touch for 24 hours. After 24 hours remove rings and wipe down tops & check seals.
If you wipe them down too soon you could disrupt the seal...not sure if that is realistic but after all that work I am not going to risk it!

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Cukes expel a lot of water when processed, that is why they look like you haven't filled the jars up. I really pack cukes into my jars and they still look like yours so it's nothing you are doing wrong. Your Blueberry Jam looks delicious.

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Dace said:
I am new to canning myself but this is what I do (because this is what I read to do)....Pull the jars out of the canner and set on a wooden cutting board that is covered with a towel. Don't touch the jars, just set them out and then cover them all with a towel to protect them from breezes...don't touch for 24 hours. After 24 hours remove rings and wipe down tops & check seals.
If you wipe them down too soon you could disrupt the seal...not sure if that is realistic but after all that work I am not going to risk it!
I did not mean to wipe the whole lid off I meant for her to just get the water off of the lid which is really not nessesarry to do at all. It will evaporate since the water is so hot.

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
mirime said:
When I wiped off one of the jam jars, the lid went "clipop" and sealed so I freaked that I sealed it by force, and had to make sure I didn't mess things up.
nccountrygirl...I was referring to her post above. I was just guessing that if it sealed while she was wiping it could have still been pretty warm and maybe she just needs to let them set for a longer amount of time.

I think the pickles look yummy BTW...I have some Lemon cukes I need to do something with, toying with pickling them :)

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I blow the little puddle of water off while the jar is still hovering over the canner. Works for me :p

When evaluating your pickles, remember they are NOT the same thing as store-boughten, which for all I know are pickled in one giant truck-sized vat and *then* packed into jars. Homemade pickles, esp. bread and butter type things that are cut up, just DO have a certain extra amount of 'juice' IME. (That is, in my experience with mom's and neighbors' pickles).

Congratulations :),

Pat

mirime

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!!! :bouquet

And Pat, I tried some of the pickles today, and gosh, they're GOOD! :D

:rose

Latest posts