The Disappearance of Coarse Stone Ground corn meal

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think Bay is referring to pouring boiling water over the meal and letting it soak for a while before you make your batter. It gives a softer moister texture to your corn bread.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't think I have ever had it prepared that way before. I have heard of it before though.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a former commercial 220 v. meat grinder that I have used to grind corn for 30 +/- horses ration for 20 years. I would grind 100 pounds of whole corn kernels every 2-5 days ( depending on the season and condition of the horses ) and then mix it with other grains to feed the horses. I also would grind some corn for our use to make cornbread now and then. Now that I am retired, someone here that enjoys great cornbread may be interested in grinding their own corn for their own great corn bread of yesteryear. Just send a wheelbarrow full of gold and I will gift wrap it for you nd have Big Brown deliver it to your abode! :)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@bobm I would get you all the corn you could ever want to grind IF you were in Indiana. The postage to send the corn would be more than the corn. $5.80 buys 56# of corn here. Shipping would be over $10+.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since I'm not sure of the exact texture you're looking for, this might be way off... but around here you can get 'white grits' which is a finer grind than regular grits. It appears to be - to me - somewhere between my usual cornmeal and regular grits.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
DD wants a big cast iron pan so that she can make that pizza crust @canesisters ' shared with us from YouTube :).

I was thinking briefly of ordering it from Amazon with that Puroast coffee that our Wal-Mart does NOT have ... Thinking briefly! Better find it locally.

She could make Moxie's cornbread (AND @Jeni Ann 's - link :))

Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
@bobm I would get you all the corn you could ever want to grind IF you were in Indiana. The postage to send the corn would be more than the corn. $5.80 buys 56# of corn here. Shipping would be over $10+.
I baught the corn from a large farm that also stored corn in their silos for other farms at the current wholesale prices. I brought my trailer and they would fill my garbage cans with a ton of corn per monthly trip. I made 4" wide screen to fit between the garbage can top and lid to disipate heat as well as to keep insects and rodents out. Since the corn silos are now over 500 miles away from our new place, the grinder is now available . ;)