the disgusting tomato....catepillar?

Suess

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I found one on each plant this morning. I remember having them as a kid, but I don't remember what we did. The chickens can't see them apparently to eat them as I held them up there and they just looked at it like "Nice plant lady, can you let me down?"
I cut off the part of the branch they were on and threw them into my compost pile (which then got turned so they are deep in there, not on purpose, just the way it happened).
Both tomato plants had one. I searched for others but didn't see any. One had munched part of two tomatoes, so those were also pulled off the plant.
What do I do now? And what are they really?

Suess

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
yes that is what they were. RRR.... So I cut them off of the plant. But what should I do to ensure no return?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you hand the chickens just the caterpillar (not on the branch), they will get all prehistoric on it and *poof* all gone. With mine, my only worry is that the chickens may hurt each other fighting over it <g>

If you don't want to touch it, use gloves or pliers or just pry it offa the tomato plant with a stick or some such thing. Honest, they're totally harmless and not really particularly disgusting to touch ;)

Pat, in the midst of great big ol' thunderstorms with some hailstones up to at least 1" and that's *after* the one this afternoon that felled an ailing spruce tree on the corner of our garage, no damage but a lot of work cutting it down with the ol' bow saw <sigh>, hope there's no holes in the tomatoes.

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
What do they look like? I've had these: http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/dp_hfrr/extensn/problems/hornworm.htm, which are tomato hornworms. :p Mine had cocoons from a parasite on them, so they were pretty much done for when I found them. I think they're one of those pests that's just better to pick off.
I found the very same! The parasite eggs were white and about the size of rice grains. The hornworm had dozens on it, or what was left of it; basically it was just a shriveled up husk.

My daughters had a good time checking it out under a microscope.

~Phyllis

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
SewingDiva said:
curly_kate said:
What do they look like? I've had these: http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/dp_hfrr/extensn/problems/hornworm.htm, which are tomato hornworms. :p Mine had cocoons from a parasite on them, so they were pretty much done for when I found them. I think they're one of those pests that's just better to pick off.
I found the very same! The parasite eggs were white and about the size of rice grains. The hornworm had dozens on it, or what was left of it; basically it was just a shriveled up husk.

My daughters had a good time checking it out under a microscope.

~Phyllis
We found one the same way - covered with eggs. I gave it to the chickens and they (the lucky 2) enjoyed it, eggs and all.

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I did some research and idscovered these eggs come from Braconid wasps, a large family of insects that have several parasitic species.

They look pretty look much this:

image062.jpg

So if you see caterpillars that looks like this, consider yourself lucky!

Braconid%20wasp%20cacoons%20cropped%20Aug%202002%20c%20copy.jpg

~Phyllis

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
punkin said:
We found one the same way - covered with eggs. I gave it to the chickens and they (the lucky 2) enjoyed it, eggs and all.
Next time you might want to 'spare' those -- if you just leave them for the parasitoids to mature, you will have a bigger population of 'em for the rest of the season and the next year, all the better to control the hornworm populatin *for* you :)

Although, I realize it's tempting to give the chickens something they like SOOOOO much <g>

Pat

Suess

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
None of my hornworms have parasitic wasp eggs....they are all healthy. One of them tried to attack me today I swear. I went to pull it off and didn't get him all the way, when I reached back he began throwing his body at me. Stupid caterpillar thing. Then got him off and my chickens still thought I was nuts! I see what I will be doing every morning for the next few weeks: hornworm wrangling.

Latest posts