ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol, I would paint the shutters a charcoal grey. That is a very neutral color. Then I would add planter boxes along your porch rails. They would look like window boxes and you could paint them in your favorite color.

Our house is painted in two different greens, cream trim, and reddish accents. Since my husband loves the house and green is his favorite color, it will always be painted green. I get to add my color by having my bench a chartreuse color with orange cushions. A bougainvillea in my favorite color, fuschia, and an orange pot with lavender, and a turquoise pot with orange flowers. I'm happy and he's happy!

Mary

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will miss having fresh bouquets daily as fall is approaching, but for now I'm rolling in them. :yaI've been sending flowers to everyone I know. Been a great year for zinnias, haven't suffered any mildew this year at all. These 3 varieties were all from Baker Creek. I'm going to save seed from these sunflowers too. Will save lots to share if I can beat the birds to them. I've never seen so many mason bees in my life!

2017-08-27 14.24.30.jpg
2017-08-27 14.23.29.jpg
2017-08-27 14.22.20.jpg

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will miss having fresh bouquets daily as fall is approaching, but for now I'm rolling in them. :yaI've been sending flowers to everyone I know. Been a great year for zinnias, haven't suffered any mildew this year at all. These 3 varieties were all from Baker Creek. I'm going to save seed from these sunflowers too. Will save lots to share if I can beat the birds to them. I've never seen so many mason bees in my life!

View attachment 21660 View attachment 21661 View attachment 21662
STUNNING

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Perhaps, there are several cut flowers that will develop roots in a vase of room temperature water as a bouquet. That will remain attractive in the process, like the cutting from your elderberry bush, @journey11 .

I don't know about those flowers but I spent quite a lot time in the cooler as a, so called, wholesale florist. There was only one flower that would actually grow in that big cooler, tri-color chrysanthemums. Here's a seed source LINK.

They were not the most remarkable flower, otherwise. Pretty daisies, I've grown them in the garden. However, I grew them in that cooler, also ;)!

The flowers would stay fairly nice but more buds would open. Leaf buds would open! Stems would elongate! Roots would grow in the water!

We kept that cooler at 35°f ! Everything else would deteriorate with time. They would too but it was that they became rather ratty looking. More plant-like, less ornamental ...

These daisies are not quite chrysanthemums. The perennial mum would probably develop roots sometimes at room temperature but they would likely be a real mess before it occurs and might just rot. Roses can be rooted in perlite and water. And, I'm not really sure how the tri-color daisies would be warm.

I didn't come up with a good plan for the garden plants. It seemed likely that I could take those clones and keep them through the winter. Then, set them out in the spring. It would mostly be just for fun. Maybe, they would maintain blooms indoors. I don't know.

Oh. I understand that gardeners in the South will take cuttings of their best tomato plants, root them indoors and set them out in the spring. Oops, practical vegetable growing isn't quite the same as playing with daisies ;)!

oopsy digitS'

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dahlia are winning me over more and more. I would never bother with something that could not over winter. Late last spring I picked up some packages on clearance. I planted at work not expecting much, boy was I wrong. They where strong growers that flowered for long time. Clients would remark about them all the time. When frost killed top growth, I had kennel boy dig up. I let them dry for couples day then put in brown paper bag. Planted this spring even better then last year.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dahlia are winning me over more and more. I would never bother with something that could not over winter. Late last spring I picked up some packages on clearance. I planted at work not expecting much, boy was I wrong. They where strong growers that flowered for long time. Clients would remark about them all the time. When frost killed top growth, I had kennel boy dig up. I let them dry for couples day then put in brown paper bag. Planted this spring even better then last year.
If you sprout them a little earlier than planting time they will bloom earlier. They are always so late for me, but, no better cut flower.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Perhaps, there are several cut flowers that will develop roots in a vase of room temperature water as a bouquet. That will remain attractive in the process, like the cutting from your elderberry bush, @journey11 .

I don't know about those flowers but I spent quite a lot time in the cooler as a, so called, wholesale florist. There was only one flower that would actually grow in that big cooler, tri-color chrysanthemums. Here's a seed source LINK.

They were not the most remarkable flower, otherwise. Pretty daisies, I've grown them in the garden. However, I grew them in that cooler, also ;)!

The flowers would stay fairly nice but more buds would open. Leaf buds would open! Stems would elongate! Roots would grow in the water!

We kept that cooler at 35°f ! Everything else would deteriorate with time. They would too but it was that they became rather ratty looking. More plant-like, less ornamental ...

These daisies are not quite chrysanthemums. The perennial mum would probably develop roots sometimes at room temperature but they would likely be a real mess before it occurs and might just rot. Roses can be rooted in perlite and water. And, I'm not really sure how the tri-color daisies would be warm.

I didn't come up with a good plan for the garden plants. It seemed likely that I could take those clones and keep them through the winter. Then, set them out in the spring. It would mostly be just for fun. Maybe, they would maintain blooms indoors. I don't know.

Oh. I understand that gardeners in the South will take cuttings of their best tomato plants, root them indoors and set them out in the spring. Oops, practical vegetable growing isn't quite the same as playing with daisies ;)!

oopsy digitS'

I've heard hydrangea will root easily in a vase. Once mine are big enough to cut from, I'm going to try it. They seem to be popular in arrangements lately. I have a friend who is a florist and have seen her use them a lot and in magazines.

Once in a blue moon, I've had store bought roses grow in the vase, sending out new shoots and bumps on the stem looking like the beginning of new roots. Those were not anything I wanted badly enough to put the effort into babying along though.

I'm surprised to hear a chrysanthemum would root. I wouldn't think anything with a tender green stem would. I haven't much experience with them though. Those tricolor ones are cute. Looks like they come in several colors.

@Nyboy , These lime colored flowers are really growing on me. I bought them because they were recommended to compliment the burgundy zinnias. The sunflowers matched by happy accident. :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Japanese anemones make me happy.:)
I love everything about them, their little globe buds, their quirky irregular petals and the little ball that's left when the petals drop away. I don't always get to see them bloom. Some years a September frost will take them out early. But this year they are abundant!

20170920_114537.jpg

I cut a bunch for a bouquet indoors, I'm sure a freeze is right around the corner, and I wanted to enjoy them as long as possible.

20170920_123923.jpg

20170920_123959.jpg

Latest posts