The Garlic is Taking Off-- It Must Almost Be Spring!

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's fascinating @Zeedman , it reminds me of a type of garlic @Pulsegleaner once mentioned that grows a single large bulb. Seeing what you've posted here it looks like single large clove garlic is not a distinct species but a growing technique. It's a very practical development!
Although I know nothing about the garlic in the photo, that is entirely possible. It would explain how someone could make money selling garlic that doesn't multiply... the parent stock would be grown normally elsewhere. There are other ways to make rounds, either by crowding (which is hit or miss) or from closely-planted bulbils... but nothing of this size.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This single clove garlic is pretty popular in the supermarkets here, but all imported from China. As the price is higher and consumes more resources for transportation, we chose the varieties growing in France or Spain. So as gingers, but it's nice that more local farm in southern Germany start growing gingers in recently two to three years.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I dug the other Spring-planted garlic, and it was not the same - no bulb. They look like garlic scallions. I know that I planted two hard neck varieties, of two different types; one marbled purple stripe, and one porcelain. The problem is that I never labeled which was which; and since they formed no scape, there is no alternate way to identify them. :idunno So I will need to repeat the experiment next year, using - and labeling - the two varieties of each type that I grow. To be continued...
20231008_130644.jpg

Garlic planting time is approaching. Rather than move & refill the raised bed, this year I'll just add fresh soil & organic fertilizer & reuse the bed in situ. I'll use hay mulch too, which should contribute some fertility as it breaks down. Hopefully we have better Spring weather next year.

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I plant my garlic in 5 days! Getting excited. Bought 2 packs of organic garlic from grocery store. The each have 3 head that are medium size. Hope once I separate into cloves that I'll have enough. If not I do have some non organic garlic from Costco and may plant that to see how it does.

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I plant my garlic in 5 days! Getting excited. Bought 2 packs of organic garlic from grocery store. The each have 3 head that are medium size. Hope once I separate into cloves that I'll have enough. If not I do have some non organic garlic from Costco and may plant that to see how it does.

do you have full sun there?

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The first of my garlic hit the dirt today, beginning with the Turban and Asiatic cultivars. Some of the Thai Purple has robust green shoots developing already, which was a surprise. And Asiatic variety 'Japanese' had just two ping pong ball-sized cloves per bulb; absolutely massive. I am not sure if I like those massive cloves, since most of the crop had to be saved for replanting (I had saved some neck bulbils, but when I checked on them they were all shriveled and dry). I will give Japanese another year and see how it goes; they indicate that 6 cloves per bulb is typical, so maybe the bulbs will produce more cloves over time.

We recently pulled out a massive shrub and covered the area with a yard of well-composted manure, and that will be the home for these garlic this year. The soil is light and fluffy with something my husband tells me is called 'duff'-- decaying plant matter that you find under trees. All of these varieties grew so huge in their first year that I am not concerned about how they will fare with these growing conditions. And a few years ago I learned the hard way that it is best to space out all of the cloves on the surface of the soil, mark the perimeter of the bed with stones or sticks, pop a label in, and then plant the cloves. Otherwise it is too easy to get distracted and forget where you planted them. The labels that I use are pieces from old aluminum window blinds with a hole punched in them and marked with either a Garden Marker or pencil (not a Sharpie-- they become disappearing ink); the hole makes it easy to attach the label to the garlic when it is harvested next summer. I also draw a map, just in case an animal pulls the tag out of the ground. Crows seem to enjoy doing that. ☺️

Attachments

• IMG_20231109_105704440.jpg
    IMG_20231109_105704440.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20231109_121403562.jpg
    IMG_20231109_121403562.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20231109_132916684.jpg
    IMG_20231109_132916684.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Latest posts