The Good, the Bad and the????

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
A few years ago I bought a couple pounds of decolate snails. Their population has exploded, but nary a dent was made in the brown snail population. What happened? I thought they were supposed to eat the brown snail eggs and babies? I find them side by side on plants, now. I DON'T want to poison, but I am losing my patience.

Suggestions?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
personally, i would be picking those snails and giving them to my koi and pond fish. they love it when they find a patch of snails in the pond and they seem to love the garden snails that have thin shells. the only other thing i would suggest if you can have them in your area is a small flock of chickens!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have to get the snail bait, ferric phosphate, for the hoop house each year. That plastic tunnel is just a perfect environment for slugs!

This bait is a phosphate of iron. It is still approved for use in organic farming. And, supposedly, just acts as a plant nutrient in the soil. I'd bet that the organic standards would not allow it as a fertilizer, however.

It says, "safe for children & pets" but that kind of surprises me. Still, I've seen sparrows deliberately pick it up to eat. Anyway, it works real well on slugs but if it once gets wet - it just dissolves.

Steve

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I was hoping the "good" snails would take care of the bad ones :/ but in the meantime, I guess I can continue to pick the brown snails and give them to my ducks. Even the chickens get in on the action, it's just wet, cold and slimy work.

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Still looking into this so I searched some websites and the info they have on there is incorrect to say the least. One site said the decollate snails don't climb walls or trees like brown snails do - um this is WRONG!!! It also said they are supposed to take care of the eggs and small & medium snails. I think they are partying with them! I do NOT want to poison but I think I may have to. The snails and slugs are so overwhelming that they eat absolutely everything!!!

Latest posts