The herb that wasn't an herb.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
"Curry plant" made me laugh! Curry seasoning is a mix of herbs, most typically being: Coriander, Cumin, Fenugreek, and Turmeric (often with red pepper and onion powder in the mix). So if you wanted to grow your own curry, you would grow the afore mentioned plants.

I'm sorry that a shopkeeper/nursery owner in my state was misinformed and misled you.

As to mint, It grows wild next to our brook. I've always used it in iced tea as my grandmother did before me. Sometimes I just pick and eat a few leaves when I'm out and about. Also I sometimes cut off the top of a plant, rinse it off, and bring it inside where it will keep in a small jar of water, grow a root system, and be a ready supply of mint leaves.
When speaking of curries you have to remember that there are two distinctive types. Curries from places like Thailand and Vietnam or that vicinity get their heat from chili peppers and Indian curry depends on ginger, turmeric and other related root plants.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Several members have brought up oregano so I have to get my two cents in. I really like Mexican oregano which has a distinctive taste that is especially suited for Mexican dishes. The flavor of dried leaves lasts longer than Greek oregano in storage.
Oddly it isn't really an oregano at all but belongs to the verbena family; however it has all the properties and uses of the "real" oregano.
One big advantage to the gardener is that it is non invasive, being a bush rather than a creeper.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Curry plant" made me laugh! Curry seasoning is a mix of herbs, most typically being: Coriander, Cumin, Fenugreek, and Turmeric (often with red pepper and onion powder in the mix). So if you wanted to grow your own curry, you would grow the afore mentioned plants.

There is also curry leaf (Murraya koengii) That comes from a small tropical tree. It is ESSENTIAL in some Indian curries (though not all) and some South Asian cooking.

I tend to like Cuban Oregano/Spanish thyme, Plectranthus ambioticus . I find the fact it is a succulent means that while it doesn't dry very well, the juiciness means it integrates into marinades a lot faster than the standard kind (handy when you want to make a plate of horatiki in a hurry.)

I grow Egyptian mint (Mentha nillacea) which I like to use in various things

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We were traveling down historic Route 7 in Vermont today and stopped at a large greenhouse to look for herbs. Sure enough, they had a large selection of herbs, some very unusual. As a matter of fact, they had the largest variety of plants and vegetables for the garden than anyplace we have ever visited.

We bought some oregano and my wife wanted to try a curry plant because it looked so attractive and had a fantastic aroma.

When we got home I researched our plant to see what we could use it in and much to our dismay we found it is not an herb at all, though it is labeled as a herb and was sold in the herb section.

Well, the flowers are supposed to be like strawflowers and the plant can be used for a potpourri.
Here is what I found on motherearthliving:

"Is this the real curry plant where curry seasoning comes from?” the lady asked, holding a little pot of herbs tenderly in her hand.
“Yes, that’s where Indian curries get their flavor,” the sales clerk said with a smile.
Next to me at a flower and garden show was a plant nursery booth, selling many varieties of herbs. I wasn’t surprised at the clerk’s answer, but I was sorry that she was misleading her customer.
The truth is, the plant called “curry” isn’t actually an edible plant at all. Helichrysum italicum, sometimes listed as H. angustifolium, is the herb commonly sold as a curry plant by well-meaning nurseries and garden centers. It has a warm, curry-like fragrance, but is bitter to the taste. More reputable plant sellers will tell you the plant is not edible and will encourage you to grow the plant for use in potpourris and wreaths, but not for food. For more information about this plant, check The Big Book of Herbs (Interweave, 2000) by Arthur O. Tucker and Thomas DeBaggio."

View attachment 26609
That looks nice, I hope we have that kind of flower pots here for sale.

Latest posts