The herb that wasn't an herb.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm probably "seasoning inhibited" and that might be my English heritage ;).

I first grew oregano back in the 70's. That and thyme were all I could keep going in my country garden ... and I became a thyme user. About 20+ years ago, I started more oregano, each time from seed. It's still around but it never is used for cooking.

I wonder if I didn't make a mistake by not buying a special plant. I have no idea if I have Greek oregano. I have German thyme and lemon thyme :).

Steve
Jack, your wife could have my spearmint. The applemint too, it's even more invasive. I'm an Italian parsley nibbler :).
Edit:
And, there is @Pulsegleaner posting while I'm typing and giving me more things to think about!

Last edited:

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm probably "seasoning inhibited" and that might be my English heritage ;).

I first grew oregano back in the 70's. That and thyme were all I could keep going in my country garden ... and I became a thyme user. About 20+ years ago, I started more oregano, each time from seed. It's still around but it never is used for cooking.

I wonder if I didn't make a mistake by not buying a special plant. I have no idea if I have Greek oregano. I have German thyme and lemon thyme :).

Steve
Jack, your wife could have my spearmint. The applemint too, it's even more invasive. I'm an Italian parsley nibbler :).
Edit:
And, there is @Pulsegleaner posting while I'm typing and giving me more things to think about!

I keep the mint and oregano in pots. I learned from experience not to let them get out of hand. I let garlic chives take over part of the yard and now when I mow the smell makes me insanly hungry. :\

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm the only one that grows mint in the ground. :hide My neighbor's mint has started coming over into my yard but I told him not to remove it cause I liked it. Yesterday I pulled 3 long strands of it to keep it in it's corner. Was real easy to do and I loved the smell of it as I was working there.

Mary

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are not the only one Mary, at least until recently. I grew mint in a corner between a sidewalk and the edge of a building, my workshop. That kept it contained on two sides and I mowed the other two sides. Since I moved that's past history.

The oregano was planted in the garden and would grow into a huge clump. I'd use a shovel and cut it back to manageable size a time or two a year. That took some vigilance.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are not the only one Mary, at least until recently. I grew mint in a corner between a sidewalk and the edge of a building, my workshop. That kept it contained on two sides and I mowed the other two sides. Since I moved that's past history.

The oregano was planted in the garden and would grow into a huge clump. I'd use a shovel and cut it back to manageable size a time or two a year. That took some vigilance.
Yes, my oregano grows like crazy. I too wack it back several times a year cause it starts going over my 4" plank board that I have there to walk on. I guess I could just step on it but I like things a little too neat, haha.

Mary

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Me too, mine is beside my rhubarb, been there for years and never had a problem with it. If it appears where I don't want it I just yank it out. I grow Spearmint, love the taste.

Annette

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm the only one that grows mint in the ground. :hide My neighbor's mint has started coming over into my yard but I told him not to remove it cause I liked it. Yesterday I pulled 3 long strands of it to keep it in it's corner. Was real easy to do and I loved the smell of it as I was working there.

Mary
Mary ours is planted in the ground. In raised beds but that has not deterred it from spreading under the boards and into the walk ways. It is the 1st I pull to harvest some. Others just get mowed with the grass/weeds.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My lemon balm is fairly well mannered but it only has a couple hours of direct sunlight.

The chocolate mint struggles thru every winter!

That mint probably only has 30 minutes of sunshine each day, no matter the season.

Steve

Latest posts