The kids have arrived!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well Carol Dee, when our daughter was about 5 years old, we had a cute as can be baby goat named "Billy the Kid". :p She fed it with a bottle, played with it every day :love ... then when this goat turned 6 months old, it became a goat nightmare by butting her, knocking her down then standing on her and not letting her get up , etc. She was madder than a wet hen on a number of occations. :rant Our daughter gleefully led this monster to it's execution spot and helped me dispatch it . She renamed it BBQ Billy and enjoyed the feast as well as the leftovers. :drool

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most emphatically, NO!

Let me just say this, because I love goats, and they have suffered a bit of a skewed image.

Breeding bucks stink during breeding season.

Wethers have a "goaty" smell to their urine, that is similar to, but not even close to a breeding buck.
Like the difference between a road flare and a match.When I used Sweet PDZ in their shed it wasn't offensive.

Does don't stink.

Goats also don't eat tin cans, for any over achieving recyclers out there.
They are sweet, comical, smart and mischievous, and need an above average fence to contain them. And they can be trained to pack and pull and earn their keep. They can also be trained to be mannerly, but it does take some effort as like most animals it doesn't come naturally.

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary this might be a good opportunity to point out that the goaty smell of a breeding buck comes from him turning his head so he can pee on his face. While we might not be all that enamored of his olfactory charms, I understand that to the lady goaties, it is quite irresistible.

Since you are my adopted redneck daughter, I can't have you blundering into a goat pen without knowing what to expect. And no, stud horses don't pee on their faces--probably why horses smell much better than goats!

If you've been around goats, then you know what to expect and it isn't all that bad.....kinda like living in the country and getting a whiff of skunk...... I don't find skunk to be all that terrible. I think that the fumes from the exhaust blowers from the washateria on the next block are disgusting. I am chemically sensitive and the odors from all the scented laundry products makes my tongue swell and my face tingle. I have to go back in the house. Funny thing, the biggest, baddest, goat buck with the most peed on face doesn't have that effect on me, so having my druthers, I'd druther smell the goat.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not to get too technical, but the smell from bucks is mostly from the scent glands located between their horns. Those can be removed, but you still have that pee smell to contend with. :sick

Oh, and they only do that during the rut, which lasts about 5 months. After that, they don't remember that peeing on their beard was attractive.

Latest posts