The Last Frost, etc. and Your Perennials

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
OMG, first harvest was this year. DD told me bag it, freeze it. We will probably have it with salmon sometime soon.
I had always read that you needed to cut it at the base.
ALL of my spears snapped off clean, and then the bases have grown up and produced fronds.
AND, almost all of them are 1/2 inch thick or bigger!
Rip out the larkspur. The asparagus is too precious!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was 39°f this morning (4°C). I really think that we saw the last frost in April. Perhaps tomorrow there will be another chilly morning. Back to 80's for the weekend afternoons.

It's very unusual to be out of frost danger early and have the bounding about of hot and cool temperatures. The perennial plants outdoors seem to be having a hard time adjusting.

There are still no blooms on the Black Locust trees that I have seen. I have some Wood Hyacinth in a very shady location in the yard. They are beginning to bloom and perhaps they show some consistency better than the trees and bushes. However, sunlight exposure is just not a factor where they are growing and right against the house foundation probably does a lot to stabilize the soil temperature. So, it may be a personal guide but that's probably all there is to it ;).

The lilacs are "coloring up" :).

Steve

Latest posts