The Last Frost, etc. and Your Perennials

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think that I have encouraged TEG folks quite a few times to note what the perennial plants are doing at about the time of important gardening dates, like the Last Frost. Here is an important indicator plant for when I think it is a good time to plant peas:

DSC00957.JPG

It is the Oregon Grape, Mahonia. There are plenty of them nearby, in yards, parks and growing wild. This is from today and I had to get kind of low on the plant to find blooms that aren't more fully open. The flower buds began opening about a week ago. It might be a little later than necessary to plant some varieties of peas but it works out well for me.

Examples of phenological correlations include:
• Plant peas when forsythia blooms.
• Plant potatoes when the first dandelion blooms.
• Plant beets, carrots, cole crops, lettuce and spinach when lilac is in first leaf.
• Plant corn when oak leaves are the size of a squirrel’s ear.
• Plant bean, cucumber, and squash seeds when lilac is in full bloom.
• Plant tomatoes when lily-of-the-valley plants are in full bloom.
• Transplant eggplant, melons, and peppers when irises bloom.

the University of Wisconsin

This isn't advice from the U of W. These are examples of gardening lore, relating sowing of seed to what the plants are doing outdoors - phenology. Personally, I think that the forsythia blooms earlier than I want to plant peas. Probably, the breaking of lilac leaf buds is about right and it is about when I planted some carrot seed. The spinach seed was already in the ground.

I'm not sure if I will be jumping to plant bean, cucumber and squash seed when the lilac is in full bloom. The cucumber and squash seed has not yet been started in the greenhouse and it won't be long before the lilacs start to bloom.

The black locust tree leaf buds are green and beginning to break. I notice that it isn't on all sides of the trees so they aren't "fully committed" just yet. I've noticed that they are a little shy about getting their leaves frosted! The black locust seems a pretty good indicator that the last frost has passed. I remember once in the last few years that a frost has occurred after those buds are breaking on all sides of the trees.

Someone on TEG pointed out to us that these plant events indicate what "has" happened not what "will" happen. Of course that is true and it bears keeping in mind. They are not using foresight; rather, the seasonal warmth, perhaps the day length and some other factors are involved in leaf & flower bud breaks, etc.

The accumulated seasonal warmth is kept track of by the Weather Service: Growing Degree Days, US Cities. I'd guess that the lilac leaf buds break at just about 100 GDD. The first flowers of the Oregon Grapes require about that same amount of accumulated warmth.

:) Steve

Oh, and this is the 120th day of the year -- if you just want to do things by the solar calendar. And that, is an indicator of where the sun is in the sky ;).

Last edited:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
May 15th is our last projected frost date. I fear getting a frost between May 1 and May 15 since the winter/spring so far has been so cold, but with our last 8 days of clouds and rain, the temperatures have stayed well into the 40°s (F) every night even though the daytime temps are below 'normal'. Now I am spoiled! What happens when the sun shows up?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've already been told I have a good start on a tan. I try to avoid sunburns by treating myself like the seedlings -- I get hardened off as well. Of course, I'm not working all week and expecting to do a week's worth of gardening in two days. I can take it slower than most.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I heard about the first dandelion, but I thought that was for peas and potatoes. I was worried I did not get peas planted soon enough. I have half planted and was thinking of not planting the rest. I planted even earlier last year. I have to start some cucumbers. Last year I put them out too early and the ones that I planted from seed produced fruit almost before the plants did.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is where I found that Mahonia picture for @canesisters ' shrub thread.

Before I close the tab, I thought it may be useful, sooner rather than later.

I will be following my previous observations :).

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This was fun. I found a few online sources: Ohio State U, U of Wisconsin, U of Manitoba, and Project Budbreak, Cornell. Here is what I could put together; it gives someone with interest in shrubs and trees an idea for a continuous flowering, as well as a planting guide. Use the Weather Service: Growing Degree Days, US Cities, to determine the GDD for the nearest site for your location. @Nyboy , it looks like Newark is best for you. They don't have many for southern NY.

Steve

forsythia first bloom 19
common lilac first bloom 207

common flowering quince full bloom 208
Sargent crabapple first bloom 213
wafaring tree viburnum first bloom 227
Koreanspice viburnum full bloom 33
eastern redbud full bloom 254
common horsechestnut first bloom 260
dandelion bloom 260
Sargent crab full bloom 282
wayfaringtree viburnum full bloom 287