The lawn is moving with larva.........

chixrule

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I believe I have a massive infestation of Fiery Skipper Larva. The Google pics that came up matched the things in our lawn. The lawn is literally crawling with them. They have probably gone through a half acre or so. The lawn is just about brown and dead where they have marched forward. I probably shouldn't have checked them out right after dinner. Ugh, my insides are crawling. We have a huge lawn, but they are getting close to a couple fruit trees and a couple flower gardens. What do I do other than go at them with a flamethrower?

chixrule

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
That is what we were thinking upon further research. We're just going to need a lot of it. The way these things are moving, hopefully it'll get them before they get the entire side yard. Thinking about unleashing my 13 hens, but it just creeps me out the amount of larva they might eat. No wonder there have been flocks of starlings in there hedge row the last few days.

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
That will be hard to spray when you have chickens! Go to Backyard chickens and ask for help ! Maybe theres some other kind of pest control that will be safe.

chixrule

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
When we spray or dust, the chickens will not be let out. They are on the other side of the house, quite far away from the dust. We have 19 acres and about 3 or 4 acres is lawn. They don't usually go to that side of the yard, but we can keep them penned until it is safe.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would start with the chickens before resorting to the toxins.
That's how I would handle it too. Plus think about how much you'll save in feed if they fill up on larva. Its a win-win you get rid of the larva and you have happy well fed chickens that got FREE food!

Latest posts