The Lone Gardener

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do most of the work but my husband grudgenly does the heavy part, like digging a big hole for a fruit tree or moving heavy pots.

Mary

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My DH loves to garden, which for me, is both a blessing and a curse. (I like to do things my way :barnie) I love the peace of the garden, fussing over my seedlings and arranging the garden beds, planning what to plant; so in that aspect I like to be alone. But, DH is always ready with a shovel, creating pathways, building new planting beds, helping with the heavy work that I am not so great at. So I feel very blessed to have a partner. Our property is a little bit more than an acre, so there's plenty to do!

DH built the greenhouse to help encourage me after I had a very serious surgery and was laid up for a year. It will always be an inspiration for me because of his wonderful gift. :love

It is very nice to read that many of you also have partners in your gardens.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
You ladies wouldn't! To mess with a man's hobby-even in jest-is playing dirty. Is there any honor among thieves? :)

Please, he takes my kitchen sheers (you know, the ones I use on stuff I want to eat) and plunges them into fish-poo laden waters in order to trim his plants. Oh, and puts them back unwashed. Let's not even talk about the dirty chicken waterer's left in my sink and the fact that he already has wall to wall fish tanks in the garage and keeps bringing more home. We're even. :p

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Please, he takes my kitchen sheers (you know, the ones I use on stuff I want to eat) and plunges them into fish-poo laden waters in order to trim his plants. Oh, and puts them back unwashed. Let's not even talk about the dirty chicken waterer's left in my sink and the fact that he already has wall to wall fish tanks in the garage and keeps bringing more home. We're even. :p
Ok, sure, lucky and thistle, side w/AM. Would have expected no less.........:)
Have to ask, what kind of fish does he keep. Plus impressed that he can make aquarium plants survive. Quite a man.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can give you his recipe for DIY no2 tanks if you want. They keep plants looking great no matter what you do to them.

Right now he is keeping convicts, bettas, goldfish, african cichlids of assorted species, a single south american midas x texas cichlid cross that managed to jump tanks before he sold all his brothers and sisters, guppies, platties (He 'rescued' them from a bad home.) some sort of extremely rare fish that has no common name and a really long scientific name. They look like they're smiling. A couple of tetras, and all the usual bottom fish.

Oh and red cherry shrimps. He is working on convincing me he needs more shrimps in different colors, but I believe I'm going to need my narnia sign post built before I find room for another fish tank.

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
DH: "Where are you going?"
Me: *clutching seed packets* "Well I...erm..."
DH: "You know there isn't room for even one more plant in that garden.
Me: "See you had these buckets you weren't using and..."
DH: "You took my fish buckets???"
Me: "Not yet. Will you build me a planter?"

And now I have an 8 foot long planter. :) such is our gardening relationship.
That is not wrong it is SMART ;)