The Neighbors from a Satellite View

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Our boss' wife has about 3 acres of parklike lawn around their house. It looks nice, but its a lot of work and the water is going 24/7 there.
She gets pretty upset if the cattle run through it and she also chased a guy off for landing his helicopter there. :hu

There is over 20 miles of rangeland between us and the 'neighbors'. I have no complaint about their yard work.:gig

I have as little lawn as possible, just enough to keep from slipping in the mud when I go to feed critters. I'd much rather grow pasture to feed them, than lawn that's high maintenance. Our yard is mostly flowers and veggies, between the house and the corrals/pastures. My idea of perfection :ya

Here's in front of the corrals...gotta use your imagination cuz the flowers and veggies don't show yet!The veggie garden is to the right of the split rail fence. While you are at it, imagine a weedeater too!

mayYard.jpg

Here's behind the corrals...my idea of the perfect back yard :p
P7040027.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, that's real nice, Petey!

Have you thought before today about being on the same thread, showing your yards, with someone from the City of New Orleans ;)?

And, milk cows, too! Hey, you gotta get those calves off of those teats!

Steve

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Heh, this reminds me of the old gentleman across the street from me, who died a few years ago. His lawn was always beautiful and VERY green, and needed mowing all the time...because he watered it ALL DAY, EVERY DAY! Seriously, with a little sprinkler he would move by hand occasionally. But it would run at least 8 hours a day, going when i left for work and when i came home. Then he would mow this little lawn with a riding mower several times a week. Now that he's gone, the poor lawn is brown and sad, but slowly must be adapting, getting more deep roots, its getting greener as time goes on.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
That part of Oregon is so cool. It should be its own state.

Ever heard of Silver City?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have heard of it but I'm not real familiar with that corner of Idaho. It has been many years since I've been down in the Owyhee Plateau country, ghost towns, desert or canyonland :). I have been to Jordan Valley a few times.

While in that corner of the country, and altho' I've been on some backroads, generally I've been hitting the usual highpoints: like, Winnemucca, NV! Of course, Denio rates right up there on any Nevada fun spot list! Have I said that I spent the night there once - what a night! They ran me out of Jordan Valley a few years later, sort of :p.

Really, the best part of the country is country. As you can see from Petey's surroundings :cool:.

Steve

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You went right by us, Steve! We are 30 mi North of Fields, on the dirt road. The ranch property goes to 78, and across the desert almost to 95.
It's close to 400 sq mi. I love it! I figure I will die and go to heaven without ever having to leave home :p

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, Petey- what a view!! That is a gorgeous piece of property...those mountains as a backdrop, just lovely! I find I spend a lot of my time imagining a weedeater!

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Okay... here is our neighborhood (It's semi-rural)

neighborhood.png

Here is my house (obviously before we started the gardening.)

house.png

And here is my house with "guides" The big green box is where the garden is, the green circles are the "trees"the red circle is the raspberries, the blue box is where the ducks are.

housemodify.png

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Let's see if I can add my satellite view. It's from before we started the garden (probably last October, since that's when the pool is blew over.) The red line is the property line and the green box is where the garden is.

8829_property.jpg

8829_property1.jpg