The Nevada State Fair~what a Dud!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
How are they taught to rear and hit the harness in unison? I have never seen a working horse do that. I want to think those that use electric prods are driven out. Along with other methods. It makes my blood boil to think of those things. & I am not a horse person.

I didn't see rearing and plunging forward. Yes, many of the animals were antsy waiting for the git up, knowing that they were about to pull hard, but I don't think that was anything more than competition nerves.

When I competed with my horses there was always a heightened buzz they got from being in a different place with a lot of other horses.

I'm not discounting what you've seen and know, just giving the side I've experienced.
It's not all bad.

I like to go early to the show, and walk around looking at the horses and visiting with their owners. Maybe this year I'll ask several about how they encourage them to pull heavy loads.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
The fair pull I remember where oxen pairs. They where hooked up to a sled and heavy blocks where added. They would measure how far the oxen pulled the sled. I always wanted the oxen with pretty colors to win.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, loved the movie. Hated when I looked up actual story. Horse died of lack of care. Amazing......

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, loved the movie. Hated when I looked up actual story. Horse died of lack of care. Amazing......
Can you document this factoid? Or was it from an illness or old age that someone was not too informed to see such as todays "bleeding heart animal rights groups ". If true , it is amazing that this horse was the ONLY founder as the sire of the horse breed ... the MORGAN horse ! :caf

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I looked it up as a child-that's been a few decades. World Book Encyclopedia. I'm sure the horse had lost its usefulness as a breeder by then. If I remember movie correct, rich guy obtained breeding rights.

I doubt he was the only Morgan line as he would have been crossed with other horses along with his dam and sire. No doubt he was the initial attempt. Movies and Morgan breeders have built this to miracle status.

Poka_Doodle

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good going, Poka_Doodle! Raising chickens, with all the 4H record keeping involved, is a great learning experience. . . and a delicious one.
Thank you. I'm learning how crazy it gets. I'm also learning that dead ones happen. I love it but there are some intense times.
@Poka_Doodle when you get your Cornish, start a thread on them so we can all follow your work.
Okay. They came this morning I'll start a thread in a bit.

Latest posts