The One-Straw Revolution

Lettuce Lady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Just got the book "The One-Straw Revolution" from the library yesterday after waiting on hold for over a year. I'm a third of the way through it and absolutely love it! Has anyone else read it? Mr. Fukuoka does things that seem so obvious but that people are told not to do. I think a lot of things that gardeners are told to do has more to do with someone trying to sell something than with the best or easiest way to garden.

I have raised beds because the previous owners did some questionable things in my backyard such as burn carpet :somad. The raised beds are so much more work than the usual way. I hardly ever have to water the front but the raised beds need to be watched closely. Same with weeding. I've read enough gardening books to understand that one author's warning of "never do this" is another author's"always do this". I know that different methods suit different people, that's why I have raised beds, but it seems obvious to me that natural is best. How can one a group of people come up with a solution that works better than the way a plant have been reseeding its self for thousands of years? Some of the best looking pumpkins I see are the ones growing on the side of the road from last years smashed pumpkins.

Anyhow I highly recommend it. It's an interesting, easy read.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lettuce Lady :frow

I haven't read the book but I have read quite a bit about him & I do admire these quotes from his writings:

Quotes from Masanobu Fukuoka

"If we throw mother nature out the window, she comes back in the door with a pitchfork."

"Giving up your ego is the shortest way to unification with nature."

"When a decision is made to cope with the symptoms of a problem, it is generally assumed that the corrective measures will solve the problem itself. They seldom do. Engineers cannot seem to get this through their heads. These countermeasures are all based on too narrow a definition of what is wrong. Human measures and countermeasures proceed from limited scientific truth and judgment. A true solution can never come about in this way."

"Natural farming is not just for growing crops, it is for the cultivation
and perfection of human beings.

Hattie