The Only Trouble With Boxwood Basil...

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow, twice a day??? I'd say you're cutting too little - chop off a good 6" or a foot, you'll be done dealing with it for a little while!! And make some yummy pesto :)

Tentoumushi

Sprout
Reaction score
Are you pinching the stems back a little past the first bloom? If you leave any blooms on the stem it will just grow more blooms. The blossoms aren't my problem this year. I planted 3 and one completely died and another is barely hanging on. This is my favorite herb to cook with and I really planned on drying a lot for use in the coming year.

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Tentoumushi said:
Are you pinching the stems back a little past the first bloom? If you leave any blooms on the stem it will just grow more blooms. The blossoms aren't my problem this year. I planted 3 and one completely died and another is barely hanging on. This is my favorite herb to cook with and I really planned on drying a lot for use in the coming year.
Aha! So that's what I'm doing wrong. Thank you.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
My wife loves basil on a cheese sandwich so I planted some indoors under grow lights. We harvested it four times for pesto, then a few weeks ago I put it in the greenhouse to finish its life cycle. In spite of the heat and bright sun the basil took off again, however, it has not even attempted to flower at all. It is growing in an aeroponic cloning unit and I can imagine what the roots look like at this point. The variety is Burpee's plenty.

JackB

Latest posts