the other side of the story

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
It would appear that this farmer is threatened by organic practices... He says he will be an organic farmer, if the market forces him to be. His example of the turkeys "free ranging" was a bit ridiculous. Anyone who has done any research on turkeys, knows that the babies are quite delicate and obviously would require some kind of shelter. Just because you want your livestock to be grass fed or free range, does not mean you don't take precautions for predators and safety....
IMO the answer to this dilemma is to grow and process as much of your own food as you can and buy the rest from local sources. Here in upstate NY the small family farm is making quite a comeback. I am proud to support them and to know exactly how my food is raised- and to be on a first name basis with the farmers!
Interesting article, ninny.There are always two sides to the story- and I am sure hearing someone dis your family tradition is frustrating....

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Clever title...although somewhat lacking in originality for me.

The first few paragraphs are negative in tone and language. Overall the article seems negative to someone who might disagree with his point of view. I think he makes some good points in the article, but they tend to get lost with the negative rhetoric. Both sides seem to fall back on "you just don't understand", often with insulting words.

From what I have seen that seems to be the norm. You are either for me or against me. Life is rarely that simple. If you want me to understand, you have to teach me in a way that I can learn. Insulting words don't make me inclined to listen to what it is you (proverbial) have to say.

ninny

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Its was a very good read. Most of my friends are of his view. Im the odd ball :D Just seems odd to me that they try and grow as much as they can and raise thier own meat but are trigger happy with the chemcails. oh well.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
RE his remarks on cage raised chickens. Just go look at a broiler house and if you don't call that cruelty your heart is hard indeed. Most people have never tasted any other kind of chicken. If they try REAL free range chickens instead of the phony baloney skirt the law variety they would never willingly go back to factory farmed.