bunch-a-chickens

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
bugfilter.jpg
if u have the room, it's the near perfect bug filter

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've seen it suggested a number of times but do bugs really not just FLY over into your garden? There aren't many garden pests that don't fly.

Just wondering,

Pat

(edited for grammar :p)

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Honestly the only nonflying pests I can think of offhand are fleabeetles (which I doubt chickens would be very good at eating anyhow, although having the run around the garden would probably discourage them as much as any other bare or low-mown strip does). Oh, and slugs and earwigs, but they travel at night when chickens wouldn't be out foraging.

Anyhow... so you're saying have your garden set up like this and you have no insect problems? Did you have insect problems before? That's really what I was wondering about -- theory is all well and fine but what matters is what actually *happens*, and if it is working for you, then there ya go :)

Pat

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Although it may not get rid of all your insect problems I'm sure it could help discourage some. It's somewhat of a garden moat I guess the dryer area in the chicken run with less weedy vegetation could provide a nice defense for most crawling insects, grubs and larvae. True though flying insects would still be able to lay their eggs in the garden.

And just imagine how much your chickens would salivate by being so close to a nice tasty garden!

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It would probably help to some degree, and it might be fun to have the chickens follow you around as you work, but not be able to get in, unless you wanted them to. You could send them treats right through the fence! :D

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Tutter said:
It would probably help to some degree, and it might be fun to have the chickens follow you around as you work, but not be able to get in, unless you wanted them to. You could send them treats right through the fence! :D
That's kind of what I was picturing in my mind.

Latest posts