the secret is in the stock!

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I make my stock just about like yours, and, in fact, just made a huge pot full, which I froze into 24 bags of 16 ozs. per. I do this once a month.

The 2 main things I do differently:

Add chicken for the last hour of 2 of cooking, aside from the bones. I keep the legs aside from 2 whole chickens, and use them later. But skin the rest and put them in.

The resulting breast meat is used by my family as chicken salad, shredded and baked salsa chicken etc.

The rest of the meat is processed and added to the cat's food. We have a problem with people thinking that country roads mean a place to dump cats, especially pregnant one, so I give them the extra meat.

But the most important thing, I think, is red bell pepper. Add a red bell pepper to your stock and see the difference! :)

However, a really deep, deep red ripe one, and just because it's basically red doesn't mean it's got good flavor. Spend the time to find a good one, regardless of season. I core it, throwing the core to the critters, (Goats and hens here.) the just 1/4 it and add. You could chop it more finely if you wish. :)

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Broiler. You can roast them too. I have trouble with high temp broiling because I like to use tomato on my beef bones so I just bake them at 400 or higher (roasting by another name). If they are fresher bones I bake first at a lower temp for longer. Then roast. I do not want to burn anything.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
STOCK is the coolest thing, and I have canned about 50+ jars of it This year!
DD told me that women used to keep a stock pot boiling constantly. ALL bones and old vegetables would go into it, and it would make the base for stews, etc.
I skip the steak baking step, and freeze steak bones, and roast bones, keeping like with like, then put them in a crock pot frozen with any old vegetables in the fridge, like lettuce, or celery, old onions, sometimes radishes or the tips of green beans, and will sometimes cook them up to 3 days before canning. I use NO salt.
What I Noticed is that stores sell stock (with tons of salt) in quart sizes, but most recipes call for pints, so I can stock/broth in pints. I noticed, too, that my stock is becoming rich enough that I am labelling it "broth."

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
STOCK is the coolest thing, and I have canned about 50+ jars of it This year!
DD told me that women used to keep a stock pot boiling constantly. ALL bones and old vegetables would go into it, and it would make the base for stews, etc.
I skip the steak baking step, and freeze steak bones, and roast bones, keeping like with like, then put them in a crock pot frozen with any old vegetables in the fridge, like lettuce, or celery, old onions, sometimes radishes or the tips of green beans, and will sometimes cook them up to 3 days before canning. I use NO salt.
What I Noticed is that stores sell stock (with tons of salt) in quart sizes, but most recipes call for pints, so I can stock/broth in pints. I noticed, too, that my stock is becoming rich enough that I am labelling it "broth."
Stock is a blank canvas. No salt or spices are of any use but to cause trouble later somehow.

I made pepper sauce and used chicken stock with it and then used that on BBQ ribs. Stock is reallllly cool.

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
We have always wondered about thickening stews and stuff, and NOW I know that stock is the secret ingredient. Much better than adding flour or cornstarch. I like to watch "Cook's Country" and "American's Test Kitchen." They made a lamb stew where they cooked the lamb bone long enough that the innerds were soft, and suggested one might partake of that.
I also like that they sometimes thicken with potato flakes. I'm thinking we could make our own potato flakes, and somebody else has thought of that, too.
"Think of them not only as a side dish, but also as an ingredient or thickener in other dishes."

I guess you could buy them, but I usually look for salt as an ingredient, and I don't want that.
I plan to do this this winter, and I'll let you know if it turns out, but I think it's a great thickener for a dish that already has potatoes in it, and has the better taste having been made with your own stock.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We have always wondered about thickening stews and stuff, and NOW I know that stock is the secret ingredient. Much better than adding flour or cornstarch. I like to watch "Cook's Country" and "American's Test Kitchen." They made a lamb stew where they cooked the lamb bone long enough that the innerds were soft, and suggested one might partake of that.
I also like that they sometimes thicken with potato flakes. I'm thinking we could make our own potato flakes, and somebody else has thought of that, too.
"Think of them not only as a side dish, but also as an ingredient or thickener in other dishes."

I guess you could buy them, but I usually look for salt as an ingredient, and I don't want that.
I plan to do this this winter, and I'll let you know if it turns out, but I think it's a great thickener for a dish that already has potatoes in it, and has the better taste having been made with your own stock.
Gelatin in stock is different than starch, potato or corn. But super high fat makes the bathroom experience different too. Consider balance and a pleasant secondary experience at all times. It is the old too much of a good thing story but if you cook you are the planner.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've spent the last five days cooking down that huge piglet from the Philippines party. Cooked each batch for 24 hours. 5 crock pot fulls. Picked bones, crushed up the softer ones for the chickens, solidified and removed the fat, and tomorrow will can some amazing pork broth!

Latest posts